Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Medic helmet with possible battle damage

Article about: This helmet was floating around on eBay for a week.i emailed the guy and made him an offer and he took it. I am not much into collecting relic helmet and I am always a sceptic when it comes

MAP
    ?

My theory on exit holes on bullets. Shoot me down if you disagree.

If a 30 cal/8mm bullet enters a helmet (except for an odd angle glancing shot or high up on the dome) I find it highly doubtful that it would be able to penetrate the helmet and then both sides of a skull and then have the velocity to exit the other side of the shell. That is why I think a helmet like this was not worn at the time. I could be totally wrong so happy to hear from anyone with solid ballistic experience.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I'm going to respectfully disagree, Map. 8mm mauser I think would have no trouble with that task 100m or less. I've seen a .357 round go through both sides of a pickup bed before. (Don't ask) That is a lot lower velocity than 8mm.

I'd love to test the theory but I'm not ruining tbe only m1 I own.

Michael that is one of my thoughts too. I put a liner in the helmet and placed it on my sons head. The angle puts the path of a bullet on the right side of the head entering above or behind the ear and exiting around the eye. Possible shot but I hope that was not the case. The shrapnel damage may have happened at the same time but not necessarily.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    I'm going to respectfully disagree, Map. 8mm mauser I think would have no trouble with that task 100m or less. I've seen a .357 round go through both sides of a pickup bed before. (Don't ask) That is a lot lower velocity than 8mm.
    happy to be proven wrong. Just a theory.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2