Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Minor M1 Restoration Project. HELP!

Article about: Thanks, guys!

Default Minor M1 Restoration Project. HELP!

Hello, all!

I while ago I found a front seam, fixed bale M1 steel pot in the trash. It's missing a liner, someone had used it for some low caliber target practice, and finally, the steel shell AND cloth chinstrap is covered in some type of waxy substance (to keep the metal from rusting ...?).

This past weekend, I found a CAPAC liner at a junk shop for $5. It is missing it's leather chinstrap, and the leather sweat band has been eaten away. It also has a minor crack to the front of that. Other than that, it seems ok...

First, what do you guys recommend I do about the wax on the steel helmet shell and chinstrap?

Second, can anyone recommend a good source for the components needed to complete the liner?

I will follow up with some pics to show what I'm dealing with...

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME AND CONSIDERATION!!

Default Re: Minor M1 Restoration Project. HELP!

Front seam, fixed bale steel shell and chinstrap. DRENCHED IN WAX... :

Minor M1 Restoration Project. HELP!Minor M1 Restoration Project. HELP!Minor M1 Restoration Project. HELP!Minor M1 Restoration Project. HELP!

CAPAC liner. Has a crack to the front, missing leather chinstrap, and leather sweatband is gone.

Minor M1 Restoration Project. HELP!Minor M1 Restoration Project. HELP!Minor M1 Restoration Project. HELP!

?

Liner: The sweatband is there, just the leather/vinyl is missing. Leave the crack there, treat it well and it won't continue to crack. Replacement parts are common on ebay for a few dollars, not sure if you'd settle for post war NOS though. If you want original, check ebay, or the classifieds. I think I saw a sweatband for sale recently.

Helmet: The wax should come off if you heat it, try using a blow drier and a cloth to wipe it off. If that's not going to happen, leave it. The dents, you could try hammering out, though it will never be quite right.

Damn it, why do I never find stuff like this in the trash! =p

Nitram

Thanks, Nitram!

I figured the liner would be the easiest part of the project... the leather chinstrap just clips right in and the sweat band attaches via the spring clips.

I feel like an idiot... I never thought about using a hair dryer to remove the wax. I figured I could melt it off, but I thought to myself: "Damnit, where am I going to get a blow torch?"

?

A blow torch might have damaged the paint if you held it there too long, I'm glad you didn't have one handy!

Did you manage to find a heat stamp inside the shell?

Nitram

Quote by Nitram View Post
    A blow torch might have damaged the paint if you held it there too long, I'm glad you didn't have one handy!

Did you manage to find a heat stamp inside the shell?

Nitram
    I wouldn't have actually used a blow torch... but I just totally forgot about the more tame option of using a hair dryer.

I believe there is a heatstamp, but I have not handled the helmet for a few weeks... It had been sitting in storage waiting for a liner to begin the restoration.

I'll check it out and report back!

?

i personally would leave the liner as is as it seems to suite the condition of the shell as for adding a chin strap to the liner if you're after an original WW2 version you're looking at anything between $100-$200 as they're quite hard to come buy & much sort after.

?

I’ve had a few liners with cracks in the Vinylite layers, one thing that does work as long as you don’t stress the liner too much afterwards is to glue and seal the crack with superglue this does work on the liners but its not as strong as it would have been originally, also this technique is very good on scuffed or damage areas on or around the liners edge where the fibres in the Vinylite get exposed, and thus look like fraying canvas, again glue the said damage and then lightly sand with fine we and dry paper, and then you’d never even know.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Another method of removing the wax which may work is by freezing
    the helmet shell. If it's frozen solid enough, the wax should then be
    able to be chipped or flaked off by wringing the straps
    - if indeed it is only wax.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast