Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MWA59stamp on M1C helmet

Article about: Hi guys. Here I have an M1C helmet that bares the heat stamp of MWA59. Now from what I have managed to research on the internet it is supposedly a McCord helmet made during the 1950's. If an

Default MWA59stamp on M1C helmet

Hi guys. Here I have an M1C helmet that bares the heat stamp of MWA59. Now from what I have managed to research on the internet it is supposedly a McCord helmet made during the 1950's. If anyone knows any more about this heat stamp number I would be most grateful The helmet has the para chin straps and have the OD green painted hardware that is associated with 1950's McCord helmets. The helmet has two layers of paint as can be seen from the inside pic of the helmet. The liner is a CAPAC liner which was a ww2 surplus then was rigged up by CAPAC post war with a 51 stamp next to the CAPAC logo. The liner has lost its nape suspension and the A frames on the chin strap are very worn from use. The liner has had a dark glossy green repaint sometime in its life but from other helmets I own this colour tends to be seen on Korean War helmets well into the late 50's. The headband is a MIL-B-1953A with a manufacturing date of 1957 on it. This helmet if you read Reynosa's book on post ww2 helmets is not supposed to exist. Love to hear your opinion on this one guys and thanks for looking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MWA59stamp on M1C helmet   MWA59stamp on M1C helmet  

MWA59stamp on M1C helmet   MWA59stamp on M1C helmet  

MWA59stamp on M1C helmet   MWA59stamp on M1C helmet  

MWA59stamp on M1C helmet  

Great set again,according to the USMF this would be from the 1958 run however i've never read or seen any concrete proof to support this theory,but it does certainly resemble a McCord so maybe it is true but why the letter prefix MWA whats the meaning for this when the 1951 production run simply carried the M prefix,maybe some more light will be shed on this head scratching question.

I have to say Ian you certainly own a vast array of M1 sets,far more than me,i'm slightly envious,such a diverse mixed bag covering so many periods within the US military,felt i should give credit where credit is due,keep'on rolling bud.

Thanks Jake, your comments are most appreciated. I think your knowledge on the M1 is more superior to mine but I am learning a lot from warrelics especially from people like yourself. It's a hobby and an interest that I find fascinating and very addictive. I spend a lot of my time trawling the Internet and reading books on the M1. I love to display my lids to everyone here at warrelics and love looking at other peoples examples here

?

Evidence has surfaced that shows that the Motor Wheel Co. produced M-1 helmets in the 1950s, hence the 'MW' stamp. So far there is nothing to show if Motor Wheel held a contract or if it subcontracted to McCord. We just don't know. But that's a really nice marking, and a para helmet to boot!

Thanks for that info on the MWA stamping I can do a bit more research into this now

Did you happen to find any more information? it turns out one of my helmets I bought cheap has the same markings, It's in rough shape and am thinking of restoring it if I can.. still trying to get more research, Regards

MWA59stamp on M1C helmet

MW + A+Lot-Number ist the "Motor Wheel Corporation" Subcontractor to "McCord" in 1951 until 1953.

During this period McCord marked "M -" between 1951 and 1958, as well as for a small order in 1965

MWA59stamp on M1C helmet

and Motor Wheel Company marked "MW" between 1951 and 1953.

MWA59stamp on M1C helmet

So if the M and W stand for Motor Wheel why was an A used for corporation?

Nobody said it was for Corporation. It's part of the number. A59, A60 etc etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast