Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My 1943 Inland M1

Article about: Recently picked this up online and a very happy with it! The stamp shows it to be a 1943 production by Inland (at least the liner). If someone is able to give a more specific date of manufac

?

dang thats rough, and thanks for the info on the stamp - I never actually knew that, I really did think it was a date of manufacture! So taking out the nape and headband are always post war modifictations by collectors? Or in some cases was it done by servicemen during the war? (I know that on the eastern front a lot of Russian soldiers removed the liner in order to wear a ushanka or other warm hat beneath)

Many sellers are not actual collectors so there's no personal attachment hence they strip and sell for maximum profit,however a dealer who is also a collector is a more sensitive human and tends to sell as found,obviously sometimes parts can still be missing.yes many liners saw action in Korea and even Vietnam and the napes and sweatbands were constantly being replaced.there are cases when a nape or sweatband got removed for whatever reason a long time back,but rarely do you see both unless done purposely by a seller.

Apart from the rust on the A-washers your liner seems in unworn condition and I don't see any traces of a headband ever being installed, so it's possible those parts were simply never installed on this liner.

dang thats rough, and thanks for the info on the stamp - I never actually knew that, I really did think it was a date of manufacture! So taking out the nape and headband are always post war modifictations by collectors? Or in some cases was it done by servicemen during the war? (I know that on the eastern front a lot of Russian soldiers removed the liner in order to wear a ushanka or other warm hat beneath)

You are worrying too much about trying to find "correct" or "matching" parts.
    These parts were made to be replaced when they wore out.
    Liners and pots do not have to have matching date ranges.
    They rolled out of separate factories and found their way together when they got issued to the soldier.
    Lets say it is 1945 and they had a 1943 pot laying around and a 1942 liner.
    I dont think they checked manufacturing dates, they just issued them as needed.
    So having said that, I would just find a head band and nape that is matching in color as previously stated.

As for whether or not the liner was stripped of the headband and nape, who knows.
    Maybe they wore out and the soldier discarded them.
    Or maybe as stated, the liner was never issued and a headband and nape never attached.

You should be happy with your helmet. It is a nice Fixed loop/bail/bale and definitely a WWII manufactured piece.

?

seeing it in person, it does not seem unused. Like you say, the A washer's are rusted and 'salty'. The strapping is slightly torn, the chinstrap and parts of the liner have visible (sweat? doesn't seem dark enough to be blood) stains.
    I am for sure very happy with it - I also did not know that US helmets were so 'rag tag' in that way. Thanks for all the help with this! (it seems I've jumped into a proper rabbit hole)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2