Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

My first Hawley liner

Article about: Here I have an early production fixed bale McCord helmet with a stamp of 52C which I date to January 1942. The helmet has the brass sharp milled J hook and brass buckle. The helmet is in fan

Default My first Hawley liner

Here I have an early production fixed bale McCord helmet with a stamp of 52C which I date to January 1942. The helmet has the brass sharp milled J hook and brass bar buckle. The helmet is in fantastic condition for its production date. The helmet looks shiny as I dabbed it with some oil on the patches of rust on the inside and outside. Now for the best bit, inside the mccord there is a first pattern Hawley liner which I have fallen in love with it is missing the leather head band and nape strap (I have managed to buy some original pieces and awaiting delivery) and the leather chin strap as you can see is snapped cracked and very brittle. The brim of the liner is scuffed but shows it use. Slightly behind the rayon suspension you can see an ink stamp 'LINER FIBRE' with an ink stamp on the rayon suspension on the crown which looks like 'J. & J' (Johnson and johnsons). One of the retaining washers was slightly on an angle so I tried to turn it back straight and you can see on the picture how clean looking the rayon is behind the retaining washer (I turned it back on the angle it was) Now guys what do you think this is worth in its current state? and I will let you know what I got this for. Once I have the rest f the parts for it I will take some pics. Thanks for looking guys and looking forward to any comments and observations about my new M1.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first Hawley liner   My first Hawley liner  

My first Hawley liner   My first Hawley liner  

My first Hawley liner  
    Last edited by Redstalker; 01-31-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Well done. Jim G.

Very nice find Red however this forum isn't running a free valuation service therefore it is of little or no importance how much you shelled out on this set,each to there own,there are many types of collectors of differant ages and many might think you paid way too much while others may think you got a great deal,being also UK based like yourself i would have thought around the £300 mark but i'm most probably way out as per-usual....................did you source the Nape and Sweatband here or oversea's?.....................

Hi I paid £187 for it from a guy in Canada. It was listed as an m1 helmet only with the first pic as the helmet only then followed by another 5 pics of the helmet. There was no mention of the Hawley liner in the description. I got to the 7th pic which I thought at first was a low pressure liner until I realised it was a Hawley and I nearly wet myself. Only 5 other people had bid on it. I think I got really lucky. The sweatband and nape I have sourced from the U.S. So once I have replaced the missing parts I will post a pic to see how they look. Wasn't trying to get an evaluation as I have seen these Hawley liners go for serious money so I sorta know what the top end and low end is for them. Was just curious to what you guys would pay for a piece in its present condition and no it's not for sale. Jake do you own any Hawleys? Got an addiction going with M1s right now upto 9 right now and that Hawley just made my total collection up to 81 lids now.

?

Hell friend the Hawley liner is worth more than that.
    A very nice buy.

Well now i can see why your so pleased,i would be too,thats a killer price for a Hawley set,like Steve said the Liner would fetch that,was it Ebay?or private website?i take it there's shipping to add plus maybe import tax plus the other bits to,but still comes in cheap,81 Lids is a serious collector number,something i would be proud of,unfortunately due to other financial commitments i'm seriously restricted on purchases.

Hi Steve that's what I thinking as well. There a few Hawleys on the market right now and they are as expensive as hell. That's one more helmet on my bucket list ticked off.

As promised complete Hawley liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first Hawley liner   My first Hawley liner  

Thats a lot better,much more complete look to it,worth the wait in the long run,well done Red.