Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

My first M1 C (1982 spec)

Article about: Hello all and a happy new year! I have recently put together my first M1 C. Nothing special, but I think it's a nice representation of the last M1 before Kevlar. I was hoping to put together

Default My first M1 C (1982 spec)

Hello all and a happy new year!

I have recently put together my first M1 C.

Nothing special, but I think it's a nice representation of the last M1 before Kevlar. I was hoping to put together a Nam era M1C. The shell is probably good for Nam. Its an INGERSOLL, heat stamp 'I-9456', but have not found the correct liner yet. I could however, create a great early 1980's airborne M1. The woodland cover is dated 1982 and so is the liner. The elastic band, I believe is a Nam era example, that has had the 'cats eyes' sewn on for further service in the 1970's/80's. All the chinstrap hardware is marked with a P. Not quite finished yet, will update with pics when complete. Thanks for looking.

P.S Is it normal for these liners to protrude out of the shell like that? I have not had this issue with any of my WWII or Nam era liners.

Thanks and kind regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first M1 C  (1982 spec)   My first M1 C  (1982 spec)  

My first M1 C  (1982 spec)   My first M1 C  (1982 spec)  

My first M1 C  (1982 spec)   My first M1 C  (1982 spec)  

My first M1 C  (1982 spec)  

?

Nice helmet.

Hi Chris I personally dont think the chinstraps are original to the Helmet unless this was an un-issued surplus that may have got released much later than its production date,usually all Ingersoll shells have Anchor stamped North & Judd chinstraps as both shell and chinstraps were produced between 1965-1967.the Parrish chinstraps are normally seen with there own shells and the later canadian made types,also to note is that on your liner made by Specialaty plastic products which is from one of two contracts 1983 or 1986 they changed the profile making them protrude outwards more hence why it does'nt sit right with the cover inside the shell,but apart from me knit-picking still a nice late example,all the best for 2014.................

?

Very nice example of the last issue M1 Chris, and yes those pesky Speciality plastic liners are a pain, I have yet to to find a shell it will fit nicely into, apart from from the 43' issue shells. I have one very similar in my collection and am very fond of it

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    but apart from me knit-picking still a nice late example,all the best for 2014.................
    Thanks Jake,

Thanks for the great info, 'knit-picking' info on posts is how I have learnt what I know on this site!

I was however, under the impression that the 'P' marked straps were fine for Nam era as they began life being issued in 1968-69. I can't remember where I read this - though.

Kind regards,
    Chris

Quote by Opex View Post
    Very nice example of the last issue M1 Chris, and yes those pesky Speciality plastic liners are a pain, I have yet to to find a shell it will fit nicely into, apart from from the 43' issue shells. I have one very similar in my collection and am very fond of it
    Thanks Opex,

The bad fit had me a tad worried until I looked further into it and discovered they are a bad fit in most if not all shells! A bit of a head scratcher!

I think I remember seeing your example on this site, a fine M1!

Kind regards,
    Chris

Chris your spot on mate,Parrish which was a division of the Dana corporation,produced contracted M1 shells in 68/69 however these were nearly all Infantry helmets that were fitted with non anchor stamped chinstraps as North & Judd under new management dropped their Anchor logo,"P" stamped Infantry chinstraps are exceptionally rare and i have only seen a couple of sets ever,most of the "p"stamped para straps like yours are commonly seen on the early RG STAMPING shells made from 1970 onwards,hence why i commented on your Ingersoll having them...............

Nice early dated woodland cover!...

nice example chris ,i have a nam era m1c so great to compare ,can i ask as i cant make out but what is the chinstrap arrangement after the yokes ?mine has a split (two piece)chinstrap
    Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Hi Chris I personally dont think the chinstraps are original to the Helmet unless this was an un-issued surplus that may have got released much later than its production date,usually all Ingersoll shells have Anchor stamped North & Judd chinstraps as both shell and chinstraps were produced between 1965-1967.the Parrish chinstraps are normally seen with there own shells and the later canadian made types,also to note is that on your liner made by Specialaty plastic products which is from one of two contracts 1983 or 1986 they changed the profile making them protrude outwards more hence why it does'nt sit right with the cover inside the shell,but apart from me knit-picking still a nice late example,all the best for 2014.................
    jake a superb bit of info there my mid 80's m1 has a protruding liner and ive often wondered why so thanks for clearing up that mystery
    Regards James

Just to add SPP moulded out there Liners with a +25 increase which was the maximum increase allowed hence why they protrude over,not sure of the reason behind this but certainly a pain when trying to seat the Liner properly...............