Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My First WWII M1 Helmet

Article about: Hi hope of interest my first ww2 M1 (complete with stress fracture as discussed in my previous thread) I took the plunge and made my debute into M1 lids. Comments are welcome and Amy info wo

I think he is refrerring to the buckle. This seems to be the later, stamped metal type (the early ones are made of brass and have a raised bar) but I have seen the stamped type on fixed bales before. Stocks of the older type were used up first so you can even find flex bale shells with the early buckles.

To be honest i'm completely stunned that Tom would say that,he's clued up having his own website,quite a strange thing to say really.

?

Default Email

Email
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My First WWII M1 Helmet  

Even stranger when you think i sold a set a whlle back to Tom and it too was in the 600 range and yes it also carried the same black painted buckle,keeps getting weirder by the minute.........

?

From what I read up on m1 helmets limited as it was, that style buckle looked OK to be on a fixed bale. Can be a bit confusing for a new collector , glad I bought the helmet prior to my conversation with Tom as I would have passed on the helmet thinking it being a possible post war refurb.

There was a long transition period for those buckles. I think you only can say only really early shells all would have had the brass buckle, and only really late shells would all have the painted buckle. I wouldn't have any problem adding this helmet to my WW2 collection.

Bottom line is you a nice original ww2 issued m1 helmet. For the helmet to be your m1,great find.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

looks like a nice set well done.
    Is that another name and number on the pot, cool if it is.
    Looks like, but hard to see and I may be wrong. Billington 16771454
    Great stuff
    Rod

To be more specific, it would be August - September 1943 produced McCord.
    As a side note, it looks to possibly have had a field re-paint (that would account for the green paint on the chinstrap).
    I can not say for sure however with the photos you have provided.
    Even if it has had a field re-paint, it is a really nice helmet and the fact that it has laundry marks and the soldier's info makes it a really nice piece.
    Congratulations!!

?

Quote by plumbob View Post
    looks like a nice set well done.
    Is that another name and number on the pot, cool if it is.
    Looks like, but hard to see and I may be wrong. Billington 16771454
    Great stuff
    Rod
    the name reads Leo Billington, but I can't make the number out. I have found one Leo Billington enlisted 1941 but the parts of the service number I can read do not match.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast