Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My introduction, starting to collect M1 helmets

Article about: hello, i already started with one thread wherein i said i would introduce myself. i now have the time to do so. My name is Robby, and after a few years of collecting all kinds of stuff from

Default Re: My introduction, starting to collect M1 helmets

The next helmet is a front seam Mccord with unfortunately a repaint i think. This helmet i already have quite some time, but i still like this helmet. Maybe because its not a bad repaint, or that this is a really old helmet. The heatstamp is 121A (may 1942), but with swivels. When this is done i dont know. but if someone wanted to fake this helmet it looks not likely to me that they add swivels to a fixed bale.

the liner is from Westinghouse. i like the nonmatching very early sweatband type and late nape strap type. Also the liner (repainted in think green paint) as well as the Sweatband are marked with Billings and Nick Billings

The sweatband is mounted to the neck band, intead of the normal position causing it almost to break off.

the third helmet is again a Mccord one. the inside is so bad that the heatstamp is not more then the digit 4. The rest is unreadable unfortunately. This one had the type 1 camo netting, and brass buckles with sharp tip hookafter hearing on this forum that those are quite rare thought lets keep it

the liner is a Westinghouse and still have his nice original paint on it. The washers are blackend brass. Sweatband is missing. But it is marked with 0-0578

Some nice matches added for the cold nights

?

Quote by RobbyMB View Post
    yessss. finally. I hope you like the pictures and that they are clear enough. Let me start with the first. This helmet is also the lastest that arrived in my collection.

It's a rear seam helmet. But i dont care because its a Schlueter . It has stainless swivelbales so this is for sure a ww2 production (end 44 if im correct)

The heat stamp is very clear 472A and the big "S".

The cork is not all there anymore, but the color on this lid is GREAT.

The liner is from Firestone, with a really stretched leather chin strap, and one side its almost have the width. Sweatband is in fair condition with one big tear.

Cool thing is that it came with a rayon napestrap

up to the next

very nice M-1 set up all SCHLUETER made shells are of WW2 manufacture as they never made them post war

?

all in all mate you've some extremely nice M-1's there a very good start to the collection now that you're hooked you'll never get enough

?

The next helmet is a front seam Mccord with unfortunately a repaint i think. This helmet i already have quite some time, but i still like this helmet. Maybe because its not a bad repaint, or that this is a really old helmet. The heatstamp is 121A (may 1942), but with swivels. When this is done i dont know. but if someone wanted to fake this helmet it looks not likely to me that they add swivels to a fixed bale.

the liner is from Westinghouse. i like the nonmatching very early sweatband type and late nape strap type. Also the liner (repainted in think green paint) as well as the Sweatband are marked with Billings and Nick Billings

The sweatband is mounted to the neck band, intead of the normal position causing it almost to break off.

on this one theres two possibilities either its been upgraded/converted from fixed bail to swivel bail or its a SCHLUETER missing its S stamp it did happen from time to time, the liner sweatband is a rare wire buckle version but the liner chin strap looks to be either a repro or a post war version that someone has painted the buckle green ?

Thanks for the compliment! After the movie i place some pictures of other helmets

?

i had a look at the NARA records for your Nick Billings there were plenty of soldiers with the name Billings but none with the name Nick.

Maybe its nicholas or its his callname. A well,still hope its a ligit ww2 name

Nice Lids Robby.some nice unusual mix and matches there,thanks for showing and welcome if i haven't already,regards minnie.

?

Maybe its nicholas or its his callname. A well,still hope its a ligit ww2 name
    i checked for an N Billings & got nothing but that just means his name & info has not been added to their archives not every name is there NARA - AAD - Main Page so theres still a good chance it is WW2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast