Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My M1... the helmet that started it all!

Article about: Thanks for posting that pic of your German helmet it gives me hope that one day i will have one too. - Mack

Default Re: My M1... the helmet that started it all!

Thanks for posting that pic of your German helmet it gives me hope that one day i will have one too.

- Mack

nice helmet collection. recently I came across a m-1 described as a NAM helmet, after looking closer I noticed it was a NAM liner, but it was a front seam helmet & the straps were sewn on & worn, so I bought it for 15.00 bucks since I had a spare ww2 liner it worked out great for me, so I'm up too 4 front seam m-1 helmets & 6 KOREAN, or NAM helmets, 3 of them are paratrooper helmets. you have a really nice m-40 GERMAN helmet just can't beat a QUIST helmet, very nice collection you have going.

Quote by crazy horse View Post
    nice helmet collection. recently I came across a m-1 described as a NAM helmet, after looking closer I noticed it was a NAM liner, but it was a front seam helmet & the straps were sewn on & worn, so I bought it for 15.00 bucks since I had a spare ww2 liner it worked out great for me, so I'm up too 4 front seam m-1 helmets & 6 KOREAN, or NAM helmets, 3 of them are paratrooper helmets. you have a really nice m-40 GERMAN helmet just can't beat a QUIST helmet, very nice collection you have going.
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate it! I started out slowly when I was probably about 15yrs old, but I have been gaining speed over the last 10 years on my collection (especially this past year... it helps to be a history teacher and have students who are interested in the subject).

I've decided that my collection theme will revolve around examples of helmets from all the major powers during the war. Right now my Italian and Russian helmets are post-war... but soon I hope to change that.

This is my latest catch:

Authentic Japanese civil defense force helmet that oddly enough has an IJA star.

Quote by JimmyMack View Post
    Thanks for posting that pic of your German helmet it gives me hope that one day i will have one too.

- Mack
    You'll get one soon, don't worry!

I've made it a habit of stopping by yard sales and pawn shops... you'll never know what you can find. You just have to be careful about people overcharging you or selling you repos as authentic.

nice JAPANESE helmet. I have 2 british helmets. I posted pic's of the best one a while back, it has a dry decal on it & a very good field paint job. I have not been able to find out what unit it is, but was told it was rare, if I still have my pics of it I will pm them too you the helmet shows up gold in pics, but it is really green. best of luck on your collection. I had to stop for awhile the wifes horns were growing from her head.
    Marty

So I've been looking at the liner of my helmet. It does not have the grommet hole in the front to affix a badge. I've come to understand that WWII era liners have that hole.

My liner is maker marked MSA. According to the sticky on liner makers, it says:
    Manufactured in Pittsburgh, Pennslyvannia this "high pressure" manufactured M-1 helmet liner is identified by an embossed "MSA" in the crown. Mine Safety Appliance started M-1 helmet liner delivery to the US Army in September 1942. They produced approximately between 2,000,000 - 4,000,000 M-1 helmet liners and discontinued production around August 17, 1945 when the war ended.

Am I missing something?

?

the grommet hole may have been missed in the manufacturing of this liner its not uncommon for this to have happened Ive seen it many times before.

Quote by NickD View Post
    the grommet hole may have been missed in the manufacturing of this liner its not uncommon for this to have happened Ive seen it many times before.

Good to know! I'm relieved... I went from thinking I had a nice helmet, to OMG IT'S A FAKE and now back to having positive thoughts about my helmet.

Nice Japanese helmet. I'd like to add one of those to my collection.

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post

Good to know! I'm relieved... I went from thinking I had a nice helmet, to OMG IT'S A FAKE and now back to having positive thoughts about my helmet.
    glad to help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2