Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)

Article about: Hello everyone, I bought this US M1 Vietnam era helmet about a year ago for a pretty good deal (came with an 80's M1 helmet that my son runs around the house wearing) and I've only just got

?

Default My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)

Hello everyone,

I bought this US M1 Vietnam era helmet about a year ago for a pretty good deal (came with an 80's M1 helmet that my son runs around the house wearing) and I've only just got around to taking it apart and photographing it.

Its a bit salty and a bit of a "parts" helmet but I guess that's the beauty with these, the troops didn't have to discard the entire thing if a part broke. It is missing the neck band but I've read that troops commonly removed these anyway in the field.

The Mitchell Pattern cover is dated 1970 and has some faint graffiti "Kill them all, let God sort them out!"

The later model Firestone liner is marked with F+3 and what looks like 41 stamped in yellow. The date on the webbing looks like 1967 but it is hard to read and the headband is dated 1971.

I think the shell could be a McCord but I'm not sure. The pics have made it look darker than it actually is. It is marked with a 4 near the lip at the front on the inside. The chin strap buckle doesn't have the anchor logo (not sure if this means it isn't US made).

Thanks for looking, any comments welcome.

I'm also thinking about getting a Vietnam era Australian M1 but I'm having trouble finding good reference sites so I know what to look out for. I have found some info at different places but it is not complete and a lot of info seems to contradict itself. Does anyone know of any sites?

Alex

My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)My Vietnam era US M1 helmet (pic heavy)

?

Very nice example, and authentic looking helmet, according to my reference books Chinstraps produced after 1967 did not have an anchor, which seems to tie in with the liner date.The shell could well be from this period too but it's hard to tell from the heatstamp, but the silicon finish looks from the period too. Overall a great looking piece thanks for sharing it!

?

Thanks Opex. I always find your helmet posts interesting and informative. I took a bit of a risk with this one, when I bought it I didn't know much about them but it seemed to work out this time.

Apparently the heatstamp MWA is from the 58 McCord run,as stated by a member on the US militaria forum,I personally have never found any evidence of this,not saying that isn't true.these shells dont come up very often.looks like both shell + liner have had post 68 repaint with as opex has already stated the chinstraps too are post 67,a nice looking Nam era lid you got yourself

?

A nice looking lid...I don't know sod all about these!! I have had 2 over the years like you do but both have long gone. I should really get another one.. Cheers Terry.

?

Thanks for reply Jake. I didn't even notice the MWA portion of the stamp until you mentioned it.

Thanks Tango. I have wanted one of these Helmets since I was a kid. If I come across another cheap one I think I'll pick it up as I would like to display the reverse of the Mitchell Pattern.

?

Yeah that make perfect sense Alex..You can never have too much a good thing & this helmet is a good thing. I start looking for one myself in slowtime as I won't have any money left at this rate with all the other things I want lol... Cheers Terry.

?

Hi Alex, your welcome , and thank you for the compliment on my own helmet collection, and I think you di very well with this purchase, I would be very proud to have it in my own collection.