Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Named Front Seam M1

Article about: I picked this one up many years ago in a junk shop in a small town in Connecticut. It is a front seam, Schlueter shell, heat stamp number 439 ("A"?) (click on the eighth picture 2x

Default Named Front Seam M1

I picked this one up many years ago in a junk shop in a small town in Connecticut. It is a front seam, Schlueter shell, heat stamp number 439 ("A"?) (click on the eighth picture 2x and you will be able to make that out, unfortunately the numbers are up side down), named on the shell in the hand rendered emblem, and on the Firestone liner in block stenciled letters. The emblem on the shell seems to me to connote use by an engineer. It was issued, but apparently hardly used. The preservation of the cork texture is remarkable. The sewn on eleven rib chin strap has blackened hardware, and is flawless. The liner is also complete, but the leather liner chinstrap is dry and broken. Also, the sweat band is in backwards, but this is exactly how I got the helmet many years ago. The NARA-AAD database lists a number of E. Goodrow's from Connecticut who served during WWII, but none listed have the middle initial "P". One of them, however, was born in 1900, so maybe he was stationed in the rear, or never left the States, which could explain the lack of apparent wear on the helmet. I guess I will never know. Anyway, it is in what I would describe as near mint minus condition. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named Front Seam M1   Named Front Seam M1  

Named Front Seam M1   Named Front Seam M1  

?

Default Re: Named Front Seam M1

well that looks great. the shell as well as the liner looks in superb condition. the square area in the front is a mystery, there may have been a marking there at one time that was out dated so it was removed. the leather sweatbands didnt ever have any sort of installation instruction so no worries if its in backwards, i have seen the sideways and off kilter as well. seems to be unissued, never seen one with none of the metal showing through the rim. nice hold on to it, the value will go up.

question- will the straps secure around the back of the helmet when fully extended?
    there has been alot of size variances in m1 lids im trying to figure out. i have a ww2 helmet basically identical to yours and mine will not secure in the back. thanks

m1guy.

This is in great condition.
    super helmet.
    chris

?

very nice named M-1 in near perfect condition pity ya cant find out anymore info on the name that would have been the icing on the cake

Great looking helmet, and to have it named, is a real bonus.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

Very nice late war helmet friend.