Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Named M1 Helmet

Article about: Hi Fellow collectors, here's another potential mixed era M1 from my collection. The chinstraps are wrong that much I know, the paint finish is odd to say the least, and has definitely been b

?

Quote by James C View Post
    a daft theory but would this rough over paint suggest argentine use? it may also explain the chinstraps ,well where ever its seen use its had a fair old rough and tumble ,almost like a french f1 i have on the shelf

Thanks James, that's an interesting theory and the chinstraps are definitely not US issue so who know's ????

Ah.. now F1's you know I have a weak spot for those particular helmets

I never even noticed the chinstraps?too busy scratching me head(no splinter jokes)regarding the liner,all is not at all what it appears to be,I will try and explain,basically on paper this liner isn't listed in the production DSA achieves or in the Fiscal year contracts,so what do we have?there are quite a few reasons for this happening,firstly remember the contract date is only when the contract between MFG and Army was signed this has no baring on when production actually took place.so for example Firestone signed a contract for 250,000 liners they all get the same DSA stamp even though the work may of taken place over 18 months,also some contracts were drawn up and not awarded to any MFG at the time so in many cases these contracts were re-issued later on down the line to another MFG,hope that makes sense.this happened a lot with M1 Combat Liners,so in your liners case there was a contract in 1967 but is listed without any date or DSA info so this may well be this liner but if that was the case it would have the original DSA contract date not the up to date version when it was produced.the other theory is the C AND P could stand for CONSOLATED MOULDED PLASTICS,who had contracts listed for 73/74/76.however they embossed there initials in cased in a circle?but they used a black stamp unlike Firestone that used a yellow one,also the latter MFG'S leased molds and tool heads from Firestone,so maybe thats why there's both sets,this liner may well of been produced by CMP who picked up the earlier 69 contract,so you may well have a post Nam liner but without sherlock holmes its impossible to tell either way,or maybe these were contracts issued for south america which would explain why its not listed in the DSA database and the unusual stamp marks together with the chinstraps +paint maybe James was thinking along the right lines,gotta go TTFN.

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    I never even noticed the chinstraps?too busy scratching me head(no splinter jokes)regarding the liner,all is not at all what it appears to be,I will try and explain,basically on paper this liner isn't listed in the production DSA achieves or in the Fiscal year contracts,so what do we have?there are quite a few reasons for this happening,firstly remember the contract date is only when the contract between MFG and Army was signed this has no baring on when production actually took place.so for example Firestone signed a contract for 250,000 liners they all get the same DSA stamp even though the work may of taken place over 18 months,also some contracts were drawn up and not awarded to any MFG at the time so in many cases these contracts were re-issued later on down the line to another MFG,hope that makes sense.this happened a lot with M1 Combat Liners,so in your liners case there was a contract in 1967 but is listed without any date or DSA info so this may well be this liner but if that was the case it would have the original DSA contract date not the up to date version when it was produced.the other theory is the C AND P could stand for CONSOLATED MOULDED PLASTICS,who had contracts listed for 73/74/76.however they embossed there initials in cased in a circle?but they used a black stamp unlike Firestone that used a yellow one,also the latter MFG'S leased molds and tool heads from Firestone,so maybe thats why there's both sets,this liner may well of been produced by CMP who picked up the earlier 69 contract,so you may well have a post Nam liner but without sherlock holmes its impossible to tell either way,or maybe these were contracts issued for south america which would explain why its not listed in the DSA database and the unusual stamp marks together with the chinstraps +paint maybe James was thinking along the right lines,gotta go TTFN.

Hi Jake, I'm with you on this buddy it is a complete mystery this one, and I am with you on the CMP theory. I believe I have a CMP liner which is embossed in the circle like you say, I checked one of my Reynosa books last night , and they did not appear until FEB 1974 ( DSA 100-74-C1253)????

I did have a suspicion that some unscrupulous type might have put a '69 dated suspension in a '74 liner, but why would someone go to the effort of this for the sake of 5 years difference.

Overall this is an interesting but frustrating item to date really, but it has sparked some great discussions and theories. What is frustrating is I cannot remember where or when I bought this Helmet. Normally I contact the seller for any relevant information they can give me,but with this one I will just have to resign myself to it being an anomaly,TTFN and Tally Ho old chap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2