Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Named M1 Liner

Article about: When you walk into our antique stores around here, 99% of the time the helmet is a Vietnam Era helmet and liner or a Vietnam Era helmet and a destroyed WWII liner. In this case I found a WWI

Default Named M1 Liner

When you walk into our antique stores around here, 99% of the time the helmet is a Vietnam Era helmet and liner or a Vietnam Era helmet and a destroyed WWII liner. In this case I found a WWII Schlueter made helmet with a WWII made liner, with a name and service number. Imagine my surprise. Named to one Chester "Pomp" Corley. ETA: Paid $25.00 for this helmet and liner.

He served with the 79th Infantry Division during WWII and with the 2nd Infantry Division during the Korean War. His Silver Star action during the Korea War earned him a battlefield commission. His promotion to officer status was not permanent, when he retired he retired at the rank of Sergeant Major (E-9). Like pointed out to me with just a grammar school education he rose through the ranks. Enlisted in Jan 1937 and was a First Sergeant by Dec 45, by 1951 he is Master Sergeant then a 2nd Lt rising to the rank of Captain before retiring as a Sergeant Major in October 1962.

The helmet is a rear seam, manganese steel rimmed Schlueter helmet, the paint on the helmet appears to be from the Korea War period. The liner is a Firestone made liner, and has the front rivet hole typically found on WWII liners.

For some reason the helmet color seems greener in the pictures than it does in person. I've compared it to a Vietnam era helmet and the helmet is a lot darker in color in hand. Also the helmet has a cork finish versus sand finish of the later refurbished and/or made helmets.

The hardest part of IDing this soldier initially was the liner has a pre WWII Service Number.

Enlisted ASN as listed on liner: 6399256
    Enlisted ASN according to online records: 06399256
    Officer ASN according to online records: O-2262320

Awards and decorations that I can figure out from an article on him and from my research. This doesn't take into account, unit awards or awards that aren't medals, no slacker that is for sure!

Awards and Decorations

01. Silver Star Medal
    02. Bronze Star Medal
    03. Purple Heart Medal w/ 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
    04. Army Good Conduct Medal
    05. American Defense Service Medal
    06. American Theater Campaign Medal
    07. European, African, Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
    08. World War II Victory Medal
    09. Army of Occupation Medal
    10. National Defense Service Medal w/ 1 BOLC (Korea and Vietnam)
    11. Korea Service Medal (United States)
    12. United Nations Medal

13. Republic of Korea Korean War Service Medal
    14. Presidential Unit Citation/Distinguished Unit Citation w/ 1 BOLC
    15. Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation

16. Combat Infantryman Badge with Star

17. French Jubilee of Liberty Medal
    18. French Liberation Medal
    19. French Croix De Guerre w/ Palm

Wartime unit assignments:

79th Infantry Division, 313th Infantry Regiment, WWII

2nd Infantry Division, 23rd Infantry Regiment, Heavy Mortar Battalion, Korean War

Service dates: Jan 1937 - Oct 1962

Born: 09 Nov 1918
    Died: 21 Jan 2003

Ranks held:

Private
    Private First Class
    Corporal
    Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    Technical Sergeant
    First Sergeant
    Master Sergeant
    Sergeant Major
    2nd Lieutenant
    1st Lieutenant
    Captain

Named M1 Liner

Named M1 Liner

Named M1 Liner

Named M1 Liner

Named M1 Liner

Named M1 Liner

Named M1 Liner

Named M1 Liner

Mike
    TSgt, USAF Retired
    Last edited by USAF Sarge; 01-23-2019 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Typos

His Silver Star Citation:

GENERAL ORDERS:

Headquarters, 2d Infantry Division, General Orders No. 118 (December 31, 1950)

CITATION:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Second Lieutenant (Infantry), [then Master Sergeant] Pomp Corley (ASN: 0-p2262320), United States Army, for gallantry in action as a member of Heavy Mortar Company, 23d Infantry Regiment, 2d Infantry Division, in action against an armed enemy on 31 August 1950 in the vicinity of Changnyong, Korea. On that date Lieutenant Corley, then platoon sergeant of a 4.2 inch mortar platoon, was assigned the mission of rendering supporting fire to a battalion which was surrounded and was under attack by a numerically superior enemy force. Advancing to a forward observation post he exposed himself to intense enemy fire in order to direct the fires of his platoon from this position. When his platoon also became surrounded by enemy forces he inspired his men by his fearless actions to remain in place and continue their devastating fire upon the advancing enemy. Only when his position became untenable did he order a withdrawal. Leading his platoon in a skillful withdrawing action he succeeded in evacuating all his vehicles and weapons and all personnel without sustaining casualties. The gallantry and inspirational leadership displayed by Lieutenant Corley on this occasion reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of the United States.

Mike
    TSgt. USAF Retired

That's one sweet find Mike, well done on finding the data on him, a keeper for sure from a great American warrior.

Nice helmet and great research. Typical Korean era repaint with original paint inside. The sweatband is Korean era HBT style weave and the nape strap would be a little later as it is post Korean War after the HBT style weave was discontinued.

Quote by bbmilitaria View Post
    Nice helmet and great research. Typical Korean era repaint with original paint inside. The sweatband is Korean era HBT style weave and the nape strap would be a little later as it is post Korean War after the HBT style weave was discontinued.
    Figured the nape strap was later, due to the color. I often wonder if he replaced the nape strap himself seeing he was in until 1962. Or if the helmet and liner ended up in the supply channel after the Korean War and was reissued and the nape strap replaced later. Also wonder if it was just luck the liner ended up in a Korean War repaint helmet, of another collector added it etc, etc. Which leads me wonder if there is or was a helmet out there with his ASN in it.

So many questions and no answers.

A real gem with provenance.. Doesn't get any better than that..

Smitty

I'm grateful to be the caretaker of this helmet, and to keep his memory and exploits alive. He was truly an American hero!

All three of our kids (2 sons and a daughter) are avid military history buffs, so this helmet will have a home and be able tell its story for years to come.

Mike
    TSgt, USAF Retired
    Last edited by USAF Sarge; 01-25-2019 at 12:51 AM.