Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Navy Painted M1s

Article about: Does anyone have photos of their WWII era USN painted M1s they'd care to share? So so many different paint schemes were adopted on various ship board commends, just trying to get a feel for

Default Navy Painted M1s

Does anyone have photos of their WWII era USN painted M1s they'd care to share? So so many different paint schemes were adopted on various ship board commends, just trying to get a feel for some of them.

Thanks,

Russ & Son

Default Re: Navy Painted M1s

Hi Russ,

Take a look at this linky U.S. Militaria Forum > Color of paint on USN helmets. it is of some help. I also notice that WRF member 'Bugme' is a member there, it may be worth dropping him a p.m.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

THanks for the link Ned, I will check it out.....

Russ

?

this is my D Day navy lid
    Attached Images Attached Images Navy Painted M1s  Navy Painted M1s  Navy Painted M1s  Navy Painted M1s 

jpstout
    ?

Nick, you did a nice job on that D-Day helmet!

Hello! Here is photo I used in the above USMF thread to give you an idea of navy colors and patterns. There is no standardization with these USN lids; the vast majority were simply the original OD that came from the factory. Many color variations (depending on what was available), patterns that range from "zig-zag" paint schemes to just a painted stenciled number. Much more to learn and undervalued IMHO...regards, jpstout

Navy Painted M1s

Thanks for the great photo jpstout. I knew there was on shipboard standard to speak of, each commend (ship) kinda did their own thing, I'm just trying to get a larger picture of some of the variations. I too agree JP that these navy lids seem to be widly undervalued, and as such, maybe we all can still find some great deals out there before it all changes. I just missed out on a deal (communications screw up between me and seller) that cost me a fantastic deal on an fixed bail salty old navy M1. I'll have to keep looking.

Here is one I just added. Motor Machinist Mate First Class..

And some of the others I had. Have sold most off, but still have a couple.

That's an inspiring bunch of Navy M1's!