Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need Help with helmet!

Article about: maybe it used to be a navy firefighters helmet off a ship from ww2?

Default Re: Need Help with helmet!

maybe it used to be a navy firefighters helmet off a ship from ww2?

Would the seam being in back make a difference with it being WW2 or Vietnam era? Were there any back seam WW2 helmets? I'm still not sure what this helmet is, I thought I was sure after reading a couple replies, but I change my mind with every new reply! Thanks.

?

it would help if you could find the heat stamp number its possible it could be a late war shell reissued post war the seam was transferred to the back of the shell by late 1944.

Quote by warhero View Post
    Would the seam being in back make a difference with it being WW2 or Vietnam era? Were there any back seam WW2 helmets? I'm still not sure what this helmet is, I thought I was sure after reading a couple replies, but I change my mind with every new reply! Thanks.
    The placement of the seam lends some help but mostly if it is in the front as then it assures the shell to be WWII period, assuming it is even a US made shell . As the seam was moved to the rear at the later part of the war and all times onward, the seam itself only really tells us that this is not definatively a WWII shell. As Nick pointed out, you need to look for a heat stamp, with this you will be able to much more accuratly place the period of the shell. The shape is a big factor, as well, and those who have studied and handled many of these M1's, such as Nick, can often tell period much better than others of us with a lessor trained eye, even with poor photos. A good, level profile photo is very definitive in period placement. Beyond knowing the heat stamp and the actual shape of the shell, the rest of the calls on what this shell might be are purly speculation IMO, as its poor condition, incorrect chin strap and lack of good photos can be very misleading. Color means little too (again IMO) as lighting, how it was photographed, how many times the shell may have been repainted all are factors.

Please look for a heat stamp. It will be located on the interior front, someplace just down from the visor. This will tell the definative story. The stamping my not be very deep so, if paint is think, it my be difficult to find. There are several M-1 clones that are dead ringers to US made M-1's but are void of heat stamps.

Good Luck,

Russ

Wow, I looked for it and looked for it and finally found the stamp! It is so faint I had to have a special flashlight with the right angle! I believe it says ''M 323 A'' the M is smaller and a little lower then the number 323 and the A is lower as well on the right side. I hope that helps!

Well there ya go.......!!!

US post war M-1 shell for sure

Would you happen to know around what year and what war! Thanks again.

?

Quote by warhero View Post
    Wow, I looked for it and looked for it and finally found the stamp! It is so faint I had to have a special flashlight with the right angle! I believe it says ''M 323 A'' the M is smaller and a little lower then the number 323 and the A is lower as well on the right side. I hope that helps!
    any chance of a picture ?

Quote by NickD View Post
    any chance of a picture ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

?

i would say its a 1950's Korean war era shell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2