Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help identifying an M1 helmet.

Article about: Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site and I'm looking for some help identifying an M1 helmet i recently bought online. I don't have a lot of experience with these helmets but I've

Default Need help identifying an M1 helmet.

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site and I'm looking for some help identifying an M1 helmet i recently bought online. I don't have a lot of experience with these helmets but I've done a bit of research on the matter.

* Sorry in advance that all the pictures are upside down, they uploaded that way and I don't know how to fix them!

The shell is sand textured with the seam at the back, the color is dark olive, and there are no markings whatsoever that I can find on the shell. The straps are held on by swivel bails and its missing one of the buckle pieces so you can't attach the strap. The whole thing shows a fair amount of wear, so I'm certain its not a replica.

The liner has a bit more information, there's no ring at the center of the head straps and the label reads "Steinberg Bros Inc". Theres a black sharpie mark on the front, my guess is it got put in storage and that got added to mark it. The label is a bit faded but its mostly legible, I added a picture of it so you can see for yourself.

*Note - the site I bought the helmet off of sells the shell and liner separately so its entirely possible the liner is not original with the shell.
    Last edited by rbminis; 10-30-2017 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Edited to orient photos.

Quote by RoundedSquares View Post
    * Sorry in advance that all the pictures are upside down, they uploaded that way and I don't know how to fix them!
    Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I have corrected the photos for you.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Welcome to the forum. The helmet as a Vietnam reissue era helmet. Would need to know the heat stamp to determine if the helmet is of WW2 vintage or post war. The liner looks to be a 1970's issue with what I believe is a 1977 date sweatband. Jake and the others will be by soon to confirm or to correct me.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Interesting, thanks for the insight!