MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need Help, Korean war M1???

Article about: Hi all, Im looking to purchase an M1 korea era helmet, my father served and fought in the chosin resevoir, he was in the army 7th infantry, since he passed away and I have nothing war relate

Default Re: Need Help, Korean war M1???

Looks the part correct chinstrap.i presume the liner has front eyelet? but would like the heatstamp please,dont think the stripe is original,these were follow me stripes exclusive to the ETO.besides that and assuming the liner and heat stamp are right then everythings good.

These are the only pictures I have, but in the description it says

"This is classic example of when the M1 production was resumed in 1951 for the Korean War. This new production differs in a few areas from the WW2 version. First, the exterior paint is slightly lighter in color and has sand for texture instead of cork. The chin straps has the steel chin strap fasteners, and the buckle is the T1 buckle with ball. The liner is made by CAPAC and all the
    webbing is the darker colored shade #7. The headliner is named Paul J. Mc Cauley 067151. The over all condition of the helmet
    and liner is excellent."

My dad actually fought earlier in 1950 and I was hoping to get the same stlye he wore, but from what I see that may be impossible to know or buy, so this one looks like a good representitive of that time, and its priced at 175. good deal?

If thats buy it now on ebay probably slightly on the high side but looking at the condition of the shell+chinstrap+liner i can see why its that price.its entirely your choice of coarse,you could put one together for less but the problem is the chinstraps?the painted green issued type 1951-1961 are becoming incredibly rare,so to go that route you may wait forever on that one item,the shell on its own $25 and $25 for the liner,but find a shell with the straps already on and then your laughing with just the liner to pick up,good luck either way and do let us know,regards minnie.

hmmmm, well its not on ebay its from a dealer website, I may order a custom helmet with his insignia and rank on a period original, that way I would have a real helmet and something meaningfull at the same time. I will keep you up to date, and thanks for your time and help.

Quote by maximus71 View Post

My dad actually fought earlier in 1950 and I was hoping to get the same stlye he wore, but from what I see that may be impossible to know or buy, so this one looks like a good representitive of that time, and its priced at 175. good deal?
    Not sure what you see difficult to finding the same style as he would have around the time frame he wore it. Any WW2 produced lid, front seam, rear seam, fixed or swivel bale, late war, early war liner, etc.. with a more often than not seen dark OD repaint will suffice. All the surplus from WW2 was what was being worn, carried, thrown, shot especially in the early days as when your dad was there. Easy enough to find, especially on ebay. I have a number of lids and liners that would suffice for what you seek. Send me a PM if interested, and I will do some diggin tomorrow, and show you what I have. I REALLY need to trim down the amount of stuff I have, so I might be able to help you find something affordable to fit your needs.....Hoov

Very thoughtful of you hoov.regards minnie.

I have an original M1 with korean war era liner on order, Im getting it decorated/painted logos to match the rank and unit my father was in, its going to be a really nice commerative helmet, I will post the pictures here when I get it. thank you for all your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2