Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Need help please!! M1 helmet...WW2 or not?

Article about: One guy wants to sell me this helmet.. ww2 or postwar? I dont have any more Pictures.. THAkKS..i realy need opinion.. Marko

Default Need help please!! M1 helmet...WW2 or not?

One guy wants to sell me this helmet.. ww2 or postwar? I dont have any more Pictures..

THAkKS..i realy need opinion..

Marko
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help please!! M1 helmet...WW2 or not?  

Default Re: Need help please!! M1 helmet...WW2 or not?

It hard to for me to determine if it World War II or not. I didn't see a front seam on the helmet, so it was made from 44-45 or post war. It will help to have a picture of the outside of the liner, and texture. and picture of the seam.

WWII helmets have cork texture, post WWII has sand texture.

Rear seam 44-45
    Front seam 42-43

If you get these pictures i asked fo,r i can tell you if it org or not (for sure).

Franz

It looks like it has cork texture. if you can give me a picture of the texture for me to confirm it.

Thank You Very much..I will upload pictures when helmet arive...

the pot is definantly not ww2

The pot is a swivel bale. It may be front seam. If so, it would be mid War vintage (43-44), but it looks like a rear seam pot, and it has been repainted and most definitely reissued in the 80's as is evident from the chin straps. The liner appears to be WWII vintage from what I can see of the webbing and the interior, it should have a grommet on the front. It was most certainly married to the pot by a collector, as the steel pot would have been reissued with a modern Ground Troops Helmet liner when it was refurbished in the 80's. These modern liners have a different composition, slightly different shape, noticeably different webbing, and no connection points for the leather chin strap that was present on WWII vintage liners. Hope this helps, Jim G.

?

the shell is from the 1960's onwards the chin strap is from the late 70's to the early 80's & the liner is NOT US made so sorry but this helmet is not of WW2 era.

Quote by NickD View Post
    the shell is from the 1960's onwards the chin strap is from the late 70's to the early 80's & the liner is NOT US made so sorry but this helmet is not of WW2 era.
    Nick is right about the liner. It probably is a Dutch liner made by Schubert of Germany. Late fifties or early sixties. It should be inkstamped, for instance SW63, or maybe a N in a circle pressed in the fiber. The press buttons in the sweatband are a dead give away for Dutch liners.

The Dutch did nor use cork or sand on the surface of it's helemts. Just plain olive green paint. The shell chinstrap is most defenitly late seventies early eighties US, as Nick says.

I am afraid it is a put together job.

Cheers,
    Emile

I was fooled by the liner, thanks for the info guys. It is clear that we all agree that the steel was at best refurbished in the 70's/80's and that the liner was not original to the shell. Thanks again for the info regarding the liner. Jim G.