Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Need Help U.S. M1 ?

Article about: In October 1944 the rim material changed from stainless to the same steel that the helmets were made from (Hadfield Maganese). Evidently, for some unknown reason, at the same time, the weld

Default Re: Need Help U.S. M1 ?

In October 1944 the rim material changed from stainless to the same steel that the helmets were made from (Hadfield Maganese). Evidently, for some unknown reason, at the same time, the weld seam of the rim also migrated to the rear.

Note: I personally have found numerous rear seam WWII era shells with stainless steel rims, suggesting the existing stocks of stainless rims must have been used up even after the change was put in place
    thanks guys I,ve just had quick search and found this quote from top pots site.
    Rod

It's rear seam and i'm not sure if it's stainless but it's not white paint marks

Seems that over time the tellers of the tale of the WWII M-1 was simplified, in regards to rim material and front to rear seam placement. From the Helmets or the ETO book, it states that the stainless steel rims went away on Oct. of 1944 and the seam was moved from the front to the rear in Nov. of 1944. Not written in the book but it certainly is likely, as Plumbob points out, that remaining SS rim stock could have easily been put on shells past the October date.

But back to this helmet in particualr, it appears that the shell shape/size itself is not of WWII vintage, or sop it seems by the photos. Not sure what is making the rim appear shinny, maybe freshly chipped off paint and good light, but certainly not a shell of vintage where a SS rim could have been placed.

The paint on the edge of the rim has been gone since i got the helmet. but it was good light.also does the black writing on the helmet indicate anything?
    Last edited by halls of montezuma; 01-18-2012 at 02:21 PM.

?

My late model M1 displays similar paint wear on the edges. It's definitely a late model. Possibily one of the last batch produced during the latter part of the Vietnam war or one of the Canadian manufactured helmets made in 1976.

Here is my M1 - war or post-war ?
    I am pretty sure it is early post-war.

Need Help U.S. M1 ?Need Help U.S. M1 ?Need Help U.S. M1 ?

?

Your second shell (2nd and 3rd photos) would be a rear seam, swivel bale, similar to the shell discussed above and based on the profile would be post war. Chinstrap is post Vietnam.

Looking at the photos again, I now believe the first photo is the same shell, only you've repainted it?

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Your second shell (2nd and 3rd photos) would be a rear seam, swivel bale, similar to the shell discussed above and based on the profile would be post war. Chinstrap is post Vietnam.

Looking at the photos again, I now believe the first photo is the same shell, only you've repainted it?
    Yes, all photos are of the same shell - light sanding and hammering some dents and paint.
    Post-war meaning Korea or Vietnam or even later ?

I think he means end of Vietnam or later because it has the same chinstrap as mine and mine is later

I don't think the chinstrap is original to the helmet age wise.
    Last edited by meyle77; 01-20-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast