Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

need help with this US M1 helmet

Article about: Hey guys , im not expert on ww2 helmets but wants to buy one and now a friend of me can get a ww2 M1 US helmet for me but he dont know if its original or not. He send me some pictures and no

Exclamation need help with this US M1 helmet

Hey guys , im not expert on ww2 helmets but wants to buy one and now a friend of me can get a ww2 M1 US helmet for me but he dont know if its original or not. He send me some pictures and now my question is too you guess . Can someone tell me more about it

cheers joris

need help with this US M1 helmetneed help with this US M1 helmetneed help with this US M1 helmetneed help with this US M1 helmetneed help with this US M1 helmetneed help with this US M1 helmet

No thankyou,not for me,everything is just simply wrong,paint/cork/chinstraps/liner/sweatband etc................

firstly joris can i just say well done for asking for advice before buying im no expert on m1's at all so im glad jake chimed in and as he pointed out the shell texture seems odd ,thick then sparse in places i think somebody has tryed a refurbishment here

Exactly James,wouldn't be at all surprised if the Shell isn't a Euro-clone as Joris is based in Belgium,the liner has a strange square stamp mark which at first thought it was a Micarta label,but as all post-war US made Liners only used steel A washers and this one clearly has Brass then it has to be of European origin,personally I think someone has knocked up an m53 Nato Helmet,think thats correct?..............

as columbo would say "one more thing " the underside rim has taken some amount of paint chipping which betrays the condition of the shell exterior and also it could mean this was paired up with a liner later on in its life .it could also just be a deliberate attempt at ageing ,there might well be a belgium tricolour under that paintwork

Found this image of ABL maker stamp,looks like this one being shown.............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture need help with this US M1 helmet  

great detective work jake ABL (Armee Belge Leger )you have confirmed my thoughts

First of all thanks for all the post's and information about it , i know now more and know for sure it's a fake one . im a collector of ww2 stuff and know allot of weapons but im not a expert of helmets and these days allot of items are fake and yo cant see almost the diffirents so yhea its great to have this forum with all those great people who will help and yhea james if you dont know much about helmets and its getting expensive these days then you want know for sure if its original or not so yhea .

your more than welcome and i hope you find that nice period m1 helmet you are looking for

Yep great forum great members with a lifetime of wealthy knowledge,study the many threads I and other members have posted within the US M1 section and you will learn surprisingly fast..............any questions you know where we are...............