Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New arrival needing TLC- Part 2 The Restoration

Article about: by NunoGTI Nice, very nice indeed, A well done work Congrats Best regards Nuno Thanks Nuno, all the hard work paid off, glad you like the finished product

Default New arrival needing TLC- Part 2 The Restoration

Hi Guys.

You may remember my recent post,concerning the hideously, Neon painted M1.

As promised here's the end result, fully restored,over the past week,requiring lot's of cork, cursing.

Whatcha reckon Guy's,any good?

All feedback very welcome ,as ever
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New arrival needing TLC- Part 2 The Restoration   New arrival needing TLC- Part 2 The Restoration  

Default Re: New arrival needing TLC- Part 2 The Restoration

here is the shell stripped down,to reveal rank markings.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New arrival needing TLC- Part 2 The Restoration   New arrival needing TLC- Part 2 The Restoration  

Here is the shell,painted with Anti-rust primer,which is matt brown,and dries nice and flat.

Here the shell,has had cork, added to the wet ,2nd coat of primer.

And here is the final restoration shot's, including a close up.

Now all I need to do is get some chinstraps,and a period liner.

And perhaps let the shell weather a bit, you will notice I did not paint,the stainless rim,( I covered it in masking tape throughout the process) I hope this add's a touch of Authenticity,and looks like the part!!!

The paint and cork has been of my own making,with the exception of the primer,which can be bought from any ,good Auto factors or DIY shop.

So if this has inspired any body ,post your creations, let's share some restoration tips,and techniques.......enjoy

New arrival needing TLC- Part 2 The Restoration  

A very nice job indeed Gaz. But I have one minor criticism to make. I'm not that keen on the weeds coming up through the paving in your garden. A little less time on your helmets, and you may get the garden sorted. Your priorities are all wrong. Now about this helmet I have that needs re-corking...

Nice, very nice indeed, A well done work
    Congrats
    Best regards
    Nuno

It looks great, Gaz !

Hard to tell it is not an original cork finish.

You now need to gently 'scuff ' the shell in obvious places
    (like the dome) to more or less match the rim.

Wait until a hot, humid day when your hands are very damp,
    then rub them on the surface too. This will give it
    a bit darker, slightly 'used' appearance.
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Gaz,
    What can we say, a superb job done there it is really good to see that old helmet come back to life, alot better than the glowing helmet lol.

dave.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A very nice job indeed Gaz. But I have one minor criticism to make. I'm not that keen on the weeds coming up through the paving in your garden. A little less time on your helmets, and you may get the garden sorted. Your priorities are all wrong. Now about this helmet I have that needs re-corking...
    Ha Ha ......thanks Steve,you are right off course, weeding is VERY low, on the agenda...... I'm just glad I picked up the dog doo..or that would have been shown, in the background too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast