Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

New M1's In Their Crate

Article about: This seller must be laughing all the way to the bank talk about win win situation....must have some serious contacts.I agree with Nigel they should be donated to a museum.there's still plent

Default Re: New M1's In Their Crate

Bidding is now at $517.69.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Who knows how much it will go for, I can't remember anything like this on the bay before.
    Interesting to watch though.

Best Regards,

Andy

?

I'm wondering if the current highest bidder realizes that he/she will only receive one helmet...

My thoughts exactly, Dramos....from the way it's worded and pictured, the bidder probably thinks he's bidding on the entire 20 helmet box... And, even if he Doesn't, he must certainly realize that the succeeding 19 helmets will almost surely sell for considerably less than the initial one. Or then again...maybe the bidder is kind of...naive?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Well if they still haven't got it then "should have gone to specsavers"....what I find weird is how both auctions are running side by side with "msa"and "westinghouse" liners but the crate is stamped "Capac"?also the later shell(august 44) appears to have a raised brass buckle?only seen on fixed bales as brass was discontinued in or around july 43?and whats to become of the other 18 shells or 28 liners?cheers Jake.

I don't really do M1's but I would wet my knickers if I found crates like this in a warehouse. I bet he got them for a bargain too, a bulky awkward lot of stuff like that. Very jealous.

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Well if they still haven't got it then "should have gone to specsavers"....what I find weird is how both auctions are running side by side with "msa"and "westinghouse" liners but the crate is stamped "Capac"?also the later shell(august 44) appears to have a raised brass buckle?only seen on fixed bales as brass was discontinued in or around july 43?and whats to become of the other 18 shells or 28 liners?cheers Jake.

Exactly what I thought about the buckle. I did some digging. This is the sellers buckle:

New M1's In Their Crate

This is one of that type I have:

New M1's In Their Crate

Note the flat raised bars on both. Now, two of the buckles from my collection that I have always thought of as the "raised bar" type. These were the ones that were discontinued early in the war I believe.

New M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their Crate

This is what the Oosterman book "The M1 Helmet of the World War 11 GI" has to say about the sellers buckle, P32:

"The cast buckle of the M-1917AI helmet was superseded by a slightly altered brass buckle that was mechanically stamped. The dimensions of the buckle did not change but the shape became more flat and square. Also the two ridges for the chinstrap became more squared off and prominent. the surface of this buckle was smooth and it was coated to prevent corrosion.
    This type of buckle was used throughout WW2."

I didn't know that.
    I did know that the production of buckles did return to using brass in the late war however as brass was no longer regarded as a scarce commodity.

Best Regards,

Andy

?

I bought one, I just couldn't help it.

Andy

Let's see it.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Oh, OK then!
    Warning, if you think stuff just has to be salty, look away now!

The surprise is the anchor on the liner chinstrap?

New M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their Crate
    New M1's In Their CrateNew M1's In Their Crate

New M1's In Their Crate

New M1's In Their Crate

Best regards,

Andy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast