MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

newbie needs helmet id m1

Article about: hi folks im new to this forum and this is my first post can anybody id this helmet the seller told me it was genuine ww2 but i very much doubt it ,the lid has swivel bails theres a stamp ins

Default Re: newbie needs helmet id m1

many thanks to all you guys i never expected such a good response much appreciated

It could be German as well...I think I've seen a similar stamp on M34 civil helmets before.

Hi,

I have a West German border police helmet M35/53 with that same shell marking stamped in the rear collar, some of these helmets came with M1 style liners, could be a correlation?

Been trying to get some clarity for ages on this maker. Heard that it may be a post war Quist factory made helmet.

Any info out there would be great, and I hope this info helps you!

Cheerss
    Spencer

The shell was made (of course post war) by Linnemann & Schnetzer from Ahlen, Germany. These helmets were produced for many nations in Europe. This helmet might be Danish or Norwegian issued. LS also made many M35 type helmets for the Bundes Grenz Schutz (BGS) and many police corps in W-Germany.

Check the liner for markings. Take it out and show us the photo. The Danish/Norwegiann liners have a pronounced rim.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Seems to be a lot of these clones hitting the market lately. So, which nation recently cleared out their surplus? As for quality, the clones may look similar but, that is the only thing they have in common with the U.S. made M-1. The liner is an inferior plastic and the steel has got a lower ballistic quality.

Hello Bugme,

What makes you conclude that European clones were of inferior quality? As far as I have noticed, there are very few Euro clones with stress cracks and lots of US M1's which show more or less serious cracks.

Euro liners come in the fiber quality and most later ones in thermoplastic. Does not seem inferior either.

Did you study the steel used and the production methods?

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Hello Bugme,

What makes you conclude that European clones were of inferior quality? As far as I have noticed, there are very few Euro clones with stress cracks and lots of US M1's which show more or less serious cracks.

Euro liners come in the fiber quality and most later ones in thermoplastic. Does not seem inferior either.

Did you study the steel used and the production methods?

Cheers,
    Emile
    Emile, while the early European clones did indeed use the fiberglass style of material and high-pressure manufacturing process, the one in question on this thread along most clone liners are made of an inferior plastic. As for the helmet itself, Hadfield Manganese(U.S. made helmets) had a better impact resistance than the steel used in the European cloned M-1's. This is not to say that the European lids did not offer protection against shrapnel and the such, it's just that the quality of steel was not the same. It was a softer steel thus, it did not crack but, it was not as resistant. I apologize for not make myself clear in my previous post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2