Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Newbie that nees help dating a Shlueter M1

Article about: New guy here and first time M1 buyer. I picked up a Shlueter M1 last weekend and I am curious as to when this helmet was made. I know that it is probably late war due to the fact that inside

Default Newbie that nees help dating a Shlueter M1

Newbie that nees help dating a Shlueter M1Newbie that nees help dating a Shlueter M1Newbie that nees help dating a Shlueter M1Newbie that nees help dating a Shlueter M1Newbie that nees help dating a Shlueter M1Newbie that nees help dating a Shlueter M1New guy here and first time M1 buyer. I picked up a Shlueter M1 last weekend and I am curious as to when this helmet was made. I know that it is probably late war due to the fact that inside the liner there is a name and serial number of a past owner. Did a quick internet search and the guy 's name came up with and had him being on active duty starting on 3-8-46.The heat stamp has the numbers 468A and the usual 'S'. It is a rear seam, swivel bale and appears to have the original paint (dark O.D?). The liner was made by CAPAC and has the number '7' and possibly an unusual '1' next to it. The khaki suspension has the 'A' clasp and it also appears to be original in that it has the shoestring that ties the webbing together. It is missing the front leather chin strap but the rear one is there and it is the type that has two curved prongs and the color of the strap is more of an O.D. color rather than khaki. Thank you for any replies. Jon

Just updated this post with pictures.
    Last edited by Echo210; 09-05-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Adding pictures

?

Default Re: Newbie that nees help dating a Shlueter M1

Welcome to the forum Jon.
    Pictures of the helmet would be very helpful, but if its a rear seam Shleuter pot, it was probably made between mid 1944 to August 1945 if I remember correctly. Pics needed though.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Rear seam would be November 1944 - August 1945. Any time in between, the exact dates of Schlueter batch numbers are still to be revealed. However, if the hinged loops are steel rather than stainless, you can call it a 1945 production. If they're stainless, November 1944 - early 1945.

Cheers,
    Ken

Quote by kenbent View Post
    if the hinged loops are steel rather than stainless, you can call it a 1945 production. If they're stainless, November 1944 - early 1945.

Ken, off topic just a bit here but can I ask, the steel vs. ss chin strap loop dating you mention, does that apply on to Shlueter produced helmets or does this apply to the wartime McCords as well?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Ken, off topic just a bit here but can I ask, the steel vs. ss chin strap loop dating you mention, does that apply on to Shlueter produced helmets or does this apply to the wartime McCords as well?

Thanks in advance,

Russ
    Hi Russ,

This is the same for both manufacturers. McCord and Schlueter got the exact same orders.

Cheers,
    Ken

Quote by kenbent View Post
    Hi Russ,

This is the same for both manufacturers. McCord and Schlueter got the exact same orders.

Cheers,
    Ken
    Thanks Ken, I assumed that was the case but wanted to be sure

Russ

I guess it is a nov 44 as the paint has worn off the loops and I don't see any signs of rust, which the helmet itself has a little of. I'll try to post a pic or two when I get a chance.

Just updated this post with pictures

What you have clearly is a Schlueter produced in the winter of 1944-1945. Your liner is a WWII CAPAC production, shell was repainted after the war for use in Korea.

Cheers