Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Newbie, with new acquisition.

Article about: Hey Guys. New to this forum. I was in an antique store this morning with my son. He found an old G.I. helmet, and asked if I would get it for him. The dude behind the counter says \\$25... Sol

MAP
    ?

Oh...and a bit of a tip (learned it from one of the guys here). Given that these liners are made out of paper fiber, it is best not to store/display the helmet with the shell on. Over time, I'm told the heavy shell could deform the lip of the liner.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hello my father has never had this problem he has about 3-4 over these fiber helmets with the shells for 10 plus years and has never had a problem. I would not suggest messing with the liner, in general I find these liners harder to remove from the shells

Nice early paper liner, congrats!

Cheers!
    Taka

Real nice find that is one of the paper pressed liners I had one as late as 1971 in US army until the sides started to fray I think they are stronger than one thinks threw a lot of them away in a helmet recondition shop in army nice find as stated. timothy

I'll take some more pictures. Timothy. I first thought that it might be a post war foreign helmet, as I also war a "steel pot" in the Army in '82.... So I am quite familiar with the fiber shell!

Nice snag, Howard!

Hawley liners are quite desirable and collectors will pay high prices for them, even when they are in rough shape.

I don't know how old your son is... but if he's young, I wouldn't let him play with this! Buy him a 1980s steel pot instead!

Although the webbing in yours is heavily worn, you should keep it as is. Do not attempt to repair, replace, or recondition anything... it'll more than likely ruin it's value!

Quote by Howard Davis View Post
    I'll take some more pictures. Timothy. I first thought that it might be a post war foreign helmet, as I also war a "steel pot" in the Army in '82.... So I am quite familiar with the fiber shell!
    Did you encounter the paper shells that late? I would think it is possible at least. timothy

No, I was saying that the Hawley liner is what threw me for a loop. I've never seen one before. He's 14, and only "plays" with his 1911, and Mosin -Nagant ( at the range)...

?

That's great! I think gun edequit should be introduced to children around six+ ,imo.
    Great lid,btw!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Dean View Post
    That's great! I think gun edequit should be introduced to children around six+ ,imo.
    Great lid,btw!
    A high five to you Dean!. Bought my boys their first rifle when the each turned 6! With the wifes blessing no less!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast