Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newest M1 and liner - opinions please.

Article about: Hi. Here is my latest M1, delivered yesterday! This lid has a front seam,the heat stamp ( which i am led to believe is unusual -986G as it's on the peak not in the helmet it's self!!) The ch

Talking Newest M1 and liner - opinions please.

Hi.

Here is my latest M1, delivered yesterday!

This lid has a front seam,the heat stamp ( which i am led to believe is unusual -986G as it's on the peak not in the helmet it's self!!)

The chinstraps are original, brass / black coated....and a little salty.
    Remnants of rank on the front, the liner is a Firestone , with OD 3 HBT, which according to my research was produced somewhere between oct '43- november '44.

The down side is, shell has not got a lot of it's original finish left, and has been re -painted, maybe Korean issue, as most of this type seem to be! and i will have to buy a liner chinstrap and sweat band for it.

Anyway i'm well chuffed with it, and would appreciate your expert view's /comments on this one.
    Over to you guys........
    Thanks

Gaz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newest M1 and liner - opinions please.   Newest M1 and liner - opinions please.  

Newest M1 and liner - opinions please.   Newest M1 and liner - opinions please.  

Newest M1 and liner - opinions please.  

Default Re: Newest M1 and liner - opinions please.

Great lid! What is an M1 front seam going for these days?

?

another nice lid mate

theres nothing unusual about the heat stamp position as they cold end up virtually any were depending on how the sheet metal was put into the press at the time & sometimes they missed it completely

Quote by soalebm View Post
    Great lid! What is an M1 front seam going for these days?
    Hi Mate,

Thanks, as for the price well £60.00 of my hard earned pounds..

this is not a normal purchase for me ......i just got lucky....

It's karma .... i've been a decent human being lately i guess .....

Thanks for the interest..

Gaz.

Quote by NickD View Post
    another nice lid mate

theres nothing unusual about the heat stamp position as they cold end up virtually any were depending on how the sheet metal was put into the press at the time & sometimes they missed it completely
    Hi Nick,

Thanks mate, thought you would appreciate it

On another forum, i've been led to believe the heat stamp position is unusual ...... mmm, heat stamp's seem to be a subjective topic over the pond

Thanks

Gaz

?

they are a bit mate but sometimes they may even be found on the out side of the shell because the sheet it was made from was put in the wrong way up but most are around the curve area of the peak on the inside.

Hi Gaz,
    You have a decent looking helmet and liner there, they are in great shape, And the price i think wa really good. It really doesnt matter about the repaint for korea, it hasnt harmed the helmet at all.
    The sweat bands are easy to get hold of but an original liner chin strap might be a be harder to find,.
    Dave.

Quote by NickD View Post
    they are a bit mate but sometimes they may even be found on the out side of the shell because the sheet it was made from was put in the wrong way up but most are around the curve area of the peak on the inside.
    Hi Nick,

Nice one thanks mate M1's are are lot more complex than I originally thought......still they are cheaper than German lids i suppose.....

Cheers

gaz.

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi Gaz,
    You have a decent looking helmet and liner there, they are in great shape, And the price i think wa really good. It really doesnt matter about the repaint for korea, it hasnt harmed the helmet at all.
    The sweat bands are easy to get hold of but an original liner chin strap might be a be harder to find,.
    Dave.
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for your compliment's, i might a get repro leather chinstrap, and give it bit of the old aging treatment..... How's Cornwall by the way, Devons ok..... bit cold though eh!

Thanks a lots mate

Gaz.

?

Quote by gaz232sqn View Post
    On another forum, i've been led to believe the heat stamp position is unusual ...... mmm, heat stamp's seem to be a subjective topic over the pond
    While the heat stamp position on your helmet is odd and even rare it, really adds no value to the helmet for as Nick already said, it just depended on where the stamp was positioned prior to the forming of the helmet in the die press. Normally it was facing the front brim but, late in the day on a Friday with a weekend ahead for the operator of the press... he may not have cared where the stamp was.

As for it being a big deal on our side of the pond, I must state that the actual dating system that was figured out and published in a chart form, came from your side of the pond.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast