Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Newest M1 and liner - opinions please.

Article about: Hi. Here is my latest M1, delivered yesterday! This lid has a front seam,the heat stamp ( which i am led to believe is unusual -986G as it's on the peak not in the helmet it's self!!) The ch

ronl
    ?

Default Re: Newest M1 and liner - opinions please.

Nice late war helmet. You can tell it is a late war one by the buckle. First ones were the cast with the raised bar similar to the 1917 A-1. Then came the brass stamped ones with the raised bar. The next variation was the steel without the bar and late in the war they went back to the brass without the bar. You cannot date the liner by the type of HBT used. To prove the point, I have a 2nd variation Hawley with Triple HBT and Single HBT. The one thing wrong with the helmet is the insignia. The horizontal stripe in the back means it was an NCO's helmet. If it were a commissioned officer's helmet, then the stripe should have been a vertical one. Could have been one a Capt. picked up and later applied the rank to. That could be the reason why the rear stripe is so faint. You just never really know. Too bad the helmets can't speak.

?

You can pick up original chin straps at the war and peace show if you look around in all the little nooks and crannies,odd boxes etc ,for about £20 ive seen a few but never really needed any , ive two m1s fully loaded although im not sure about one of the liners being period,good luck in your search.

Quote by Bugme View Post
    While the heat stamp position on your helmet is odd and even rare it, really adds no value to the helmet for as Nick already said, it just depended on where the stamp was positioned prior to the forming of the helmet in the die press. Normally it was facing the front brim but, late in the day on a Friday with a weekend ahead for the operator of the press... he may not have cared where the stamp was.

As for it being a big deal on our side of the pond, I must state that the actual dating system that was figured out and published in a chart form, came from your side of the pond.
    Hi Mate.

Fair comment, and seriously no offence intended!!!!!

Where could one access this chart ??. I would love to be able to correctly date my lids....

Cheers
    Gaz

?

im not sure were this chart is but its not gospel only gives a ruff idea of the date via the heat stamps.

Quote by ronl View Post
    Nice late war helmet. You can tell it is a late war one by the buckle. First ones were the cast with the raised bar similar to the 1917 A-1. Then came the brass stamped ones with the raised bar. The next variation was the steel without the bar and late in the war they went back to the brass without the bar. You cannot date the liner by the type of HBT used. To prove the point, I have a 2nd variation Hawley with Triple HBT and Single HBT. The one thing wrong with the helmet is the insignia. The horizontal stripe in the back means it was an NCO's helmet. If it were a commissioned officer's helmet, then the stripe should have been a vertical one. Could have been one a Capt. picked up and later applied the rank to. That could be the reason why the rear stripe is so faint. You just never really know. Too bad the helmets can't speak.
    Hi.

Thanks mate, i was wondering about the rank insignia, the guy i got it off is a real honest dealer , i would like to get my head around this mystery, i guess there are so many "saving private ryan" M1's around , this insignia thing seems very vogue, ( i admit i have one in my collection) so yeah your right , it's a pity helmets can't speak
    But i would be afraid they would shout "FAKE" at me...

Gaz

Quote by NickD View Post
    im not sure were this chart is but its not gospel only gives a ruff idea of the date via the heat stamps.
    The only thing i've ever found on the internet is...
    Extracts from History where Scott Robinson has listed physical differences in these lids, no mention of heat stamps...

If you ever find out could you let me know...

Cheers mate.

Gaz

?

i will do mate

buy the way the stripe to the back is that paint or tape residue as i see it has a similar marking to the front as well ??????

if thats the case then its not an NCO stripe but more then likely had their name or some kind of markings on some tape for training purposes maybe ????

Quote by davejb View Post
    You can pick up original chin straps at the war and peace show if you look around in all the little nooks and crannies,odd boxes etc ,for about £20 ive seen a few but never really needed any , ive two m1s fully loaded although im not sure about one of the liners being period,good luck in your search.
    Thanks mate, good tip.....i will have to get my self up there one of these day's..

cheers
    Gaz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2