Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Number marked Fixed bale with Hawley liner

Article about: Hello, I am a regular USMF member, and have been for a while, but I have lurked here about as long. I decided to post some of my helmets here to hopefully add to the community here. I hope y

?

Default Number marked Fixed bale with Hawley liner

Hello, I am a regular USMF member, and have been for a while, but I have lurked here about as long. I decided to post some of my helmets here to hopefully add to the community here. I hope you enjoy!

This helmet is a early fixed bale marked on the left side with a "25", and a first pattern Hawley liner. The Hawley is stuck in the helmet because one of the bales has been bent over the edge of the liner. Uniquely this very early helmet has a T-1 ball attachment on the chinstrap. The exact purpose of the 25 is unknown but it is speculated to have been used for training, Naval use, or even perhaps a helmet used to field-test the T-1 attachment.

Number marked Fixed bale with Hawley linerNumber marked Fixed bale with Hawley linerNumber marked Fixed bale with Hawley linerNumber marked Fixed bale with Hawley liner

thats a great looking set, I think it was used by the Navy, possibly as a shipboard helmet, they also used original OD painted helmets like this one

the number 25 might be a rack number or gun mount position on a ship?

?

Nice helmet.
    With the condition of the very hard to find early Hawley liner it is probably a good thing it won't come out.

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Nice helmet.
    With the condition of the very hard to find early Hawley liner it is probably a good thing it won't come out.
    Thanks! It is actually quite sound, the rim has broken in the front, but it is the worst condition one of the six I have.

Yet another great looking set you own,nice to see the m17 Kelly chinstrap suttle raised Brass Buckle version,not sure as to the purpose of the T1 ball closure?wouldn't perform very well on its own merit without the correct "J" Hook,beautiful overall wear to this set,do you think the shell has had at least one in-field repaint?...................