MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Odd Chinstrap

Article about: found this lid in the US for sale,it has the T1 configuration bar tacked with the older J hook added,weird why this was done,as the lids have already been upgraded with the newer type system

?

Default Re: Odd Chinstrap

Quote by davejb View Post
    Please dont tell me that this type of liner is rare, i had one exactly the same until i gave it to my nephew who started to collect, it was traced to a soldier who is buried in the American war cemetary in Cambridge , England, killed on Omaha Beach, my illustrious sister decided it was cluttering up her home so she binned it, many yrs ago
    Two words:
    Hens Teeth.

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

In the words of confucious "OH BUGGER"

?

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    I've had this lid for a while. I noticed the odd chinstrap when I obtained it, then promptly forgot about it! Anyway, any ideas what is going on with this one? It is OD3, the flash messes up the colours.

Best Regards,

Andy
    seen a few of these crop up like this lately seems to have started to be introduced from late 1944 onwards.

?

Ok. A theory. When the military changed the chinstrap spec to the T1, contractors with already constructed "old type" chinstraps simply added the T1 hook to the end of the existing stock straps, leaving the original hook in place. I think this may be the case as all of the stitching seems to be factory bar tacked

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Ok. A theory. When the military changed the chinstrap spec to the T1, contractors with already constructed "old type" chinstraps simply added the T1 hook to the end of the existing stock straps, leaving the original hook in place. I think this may be the case as all of the stitching seems to be factory bar tacked

Best Regards,

Andy
    Very plausible. Add in the fact that these were sent to the field as well, to be installed by the individuals. There has been limited photo evidence of the system being used in the ETO/PTO.

Quote by davejb View Post
    Please dont tell me that this type of liner is rare, i had one exactly the same until i gave it to my nephew who started to collect, it was traced to a soldier who is buried in the American war cemetary in Cambridge , England, killed on Omaha Beach, my illustrious sister decided it was cluttering up her home so she binned it, many yrs ago
    An ID’ed D day Rayon lined liner!
    That would have been a brilliant collectors piece and worth more than few bob to say the least Dave.
    What a shame it ended up in the bin.
    However life goes on mate.
    All the best
    Rod
    Last edited by plumbob; 06-11-2012 at 10:33 PM.

?

Quote by plumbob View Post
    An ID’ed D day Rayon lined liner!
    That would have been a brilliant collectors piece and worth more than few bob to say the lest Dave.
    What a shame it ended up in the bin.
    However life goes on mate.
    All the best
    Rod
    Now you are really trying to upset him, Rod!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Now you are really trying to upset him, Rod!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Not intended mate.
    Just a sad thing to have happened.
    Not just for the monetary value but also for historical value.
    Rod

?

?

Ok, I got bored watching England play football. Here are some more photos of that funny chinstrap lid. The liner is a Westie, named to Hudson.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd Chinstrap   Odd Chinstrap  

Odd Chinstrap   Odd Chinstrap  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast