Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The one that got away!

Article about: Hello all, spotted this early fixed bale, front-seam M1 on gumtree on Monday and spent the past two days trying to purchase it from the seller who wasn’t happy about posting it. I was even c

Default The one that got away!

Hello all,

spotted this early fixed bale, front-seam M1 on gumtree on Monday and spent the past two days trying to purchase it from the seller who wasn’t happy about posting it. I was even considering the 170 mile drive when he messaged me late last night to say he’d sold it. Gutted. You win some, you lose some I guess.

Anyway, what do people think? I know it’s salty but is that a Hawley liner and a feint ‘follow me’ stripe on the rear? These are the only pictures he had. Hope someone on here got it.

Cheers, Ian

The one that got away! The one that got away!The one that got away! The one that got away!The one that got away! The one that got away!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The one that got away!  

Salty but I very nice original set. Looks like a second model Hawley liner. May I ask what he was wanting for the helmet?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hello Marty,

he was asking £100 which I think is a bargain but maybe the rusty-looking shell put people off?

As a footnote it has apparently been in a shed for years so they are still out there.

Cheers Ian

You should have driven the 170 miles as fast as you could. LOL

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Don’t. I woke up this morning gutted so I must have been dreaming about it.
    Last edited by canti44; 07-18-2018 at 01:57 PM.

someone dropped lucky with it, maybe on ebay nxt week for 200.

Ha ha yes, I’ve already started looking.

Looks like a laundry mark in the liner too, a steal at £100 even in that condition.

's'funny...I only recently started looking through Gumtree.....and ALWAYS get the same response when I ask if they post - "If I'd post I'd be selling it on Ebay!"....however, most times I've traveled to collect I've found a Post Office close by...and in one case just across the road!!!! My record so far is a round trip of 400 miles (half a tank of gas?....and 6-7 hours traffic permitting) BUT my new rule is Get-in-the-car! They usually know they could get more via another sales channel....it's all about time (and gas!)

Sorry about this particular lid mate.

?

Hi all, right, feel really bad about this, esp for Ian, but im afraid im the bugger that pipped him to this m1 - really sorry... only just seen the thread.

Here are some more pics. Really nice chap, and lovely story behind it, his Uncle was in France in 44/45 and swapped his helmet for this one. He then gave it to his dad, who sadly passed away recently. It was found in his shed...

As ian says its a bit battered, but my fav part is the chin strap, does anybody no what the number might be on there?

I've also never seen a horizontal white stripe on the back, only vertical...

Thank you gents...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The one that got away!   The one that got away!  

The one that got away!   The one that got away!  

The one that got away!   The one that got away!  

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast