Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The one that got away!

Article about: Hello all, spotted this early fixed bale, front-seam M1 on gumtree on Monday and spent the past two days trying to purchase it from the seller who wasn’t happy about posting it. I was even c

?

I dont really know what to do with it now, daren't touch it...!
    Will certainly try to track down J-3478 details, and hopefully find out where this helmet has actually been

?

Very difficult to see (and you have it in hand Shaune), but could that last digit be a 9?
    J-3479 might also be worth a rummage...

It may also be that this was a ‘pick up’ souvenir (if the family story has become muddy over the years), so perhaps the 1st ID honour roll may be another avenue.

Blimey, you’d think this was my helmet!
    I can dream...

Bob

?

There are 28 possibilities under J-3479 (actually fewer, as some enlisted too late).

The most promising (though far from guaranteed, of course), is:

Record: Olin W. Johnson – 20843479

Residence: Curry, New Mexico

Date of Enlistment: 5 January 1941

Place of Enlistment: Clovis New Mexico

Component of the Army:
    National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)

Branch: Unknown

Source of Army Personnel: National Guard

Nativity: White, citizen

Year of Birth: 1916

Education: 1 year of college

Civilian Occupation: Skilled mechanics and repairmen

Marital Status: Single, without dependents

Known Grades: Staff Sergeant

I stress this is only a vague possibility, I’ll try to look further into him.
    Bob

?

Gents, apologies for the delay, I have been on hols for a couple of days, but was very excited to read these posts...
    Bob, many, many thanks for posting the information you have found. I now too believe the last digit is a 9! ( re 'm1-helmet-chinstrap-number-help' topic)
    I really hope we can trace him...
    For info, I have also received an email over the weekend from a historian at the First Division Museum at Cantigny Park. I got in touch a couple of weeks ago, they have confirmed they gladly would cross ref the 3478, but I'll ask now if they can check for 3479.
    Thanks again everybody, great stuff...

If you want to preserve the helmet and get rid of some of the rust, you could give it an oxalid acid bath. This won't damage the paint etc. but will help to get rid of the rust. Sometimes it even helps to get more of the original colour/paint back.

?

Shaune...
    If you should ever consider parting with this gem...

There. I said it out loud. C’mon, we were all thinking it!

Best of luck with the 1st Infantry Division museum. Outstanding find and probably the cherry on top of your collection for years to come.
    Bob

By the way, anything with ‘acid bath’ in its name is a tad off-putting.

I think I should have first refusal on this surely!! Eh Shaun, eh???

Quote by canti44 View Post
    I think I should have first refusal on this surely!! Eh Shaun, eh???
    Only fair LOL

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Haha, of course you could have first refusal Ian...! What were the chances eh.
    Thanks again everybody, i really appreciate all your help and comments on this - i'm never going to forget this thread! And prob never going to look at an M1 in the same way again!

?

Hi all, just thought i'd post a little update on this Helmet. I've found a nicely worn chinstrap for the helmet - and discovered that these are quite tricky to fit over a hawley! Presumably because of the liners wall thickness.
    I've got the ID down to 3 possibles, all have the correct J no and rank, and all served in Europe. Still chase ng it... fingers crossed.
    Thanks again for everybody's help...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The one that got away!   The one that got away!  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast