Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Opinions Front seam fixed bail .

Article about: Morning gents these are not exactly my cup of tea but here we go the helmet it self looks to be a good front seam Fixed Bail M-1 the liner is in my opinion a much later variation possibly 70

Hi Mark,

That's a great price, congrats!

Please post some more photos when you got it.

Cheers!
    Taka

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    I managed to make a deal with the seller and purchased this M-1 for $60.00 dollars which IMO is more than a fair price for this example so now the fun part trying to source a good liner .

Regards Mark
    you got a very good price for that M1 helmet set! the fixed bale shell with original chin straps alone is worth at least $75 - $100 by itself, the Vietnam liner is in nice condition and worth around $25

$60 was a bargain at todays prices

you could just use the Vietnam liner, they would have used it that way during the Vietnam War, so either way it's correct.

?

Thanks to all that replied I will post some better detailed picture's upon its arrival for the time being I will display it as is till I can source the proper liner and components .
    I am quite new to WW II M-1 helmets and only have a few post war examples and spare liners in my collection and admittedly have very little reference material on the subject as it is out of the norm of what I collect but I have wanted to add a couple of period examples to my collection for some time now.
    I have been busy for the last couple of nights reading up on the different liner manufacturers and components and I am having a hard time deciding which road to travel in my search I am thinking an early Firestone ,Westinghouse and or CAPAC would be suitable as they all started production and delivery in 1942.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

It won't hurt to have some M-1 shells for your collection. WWII Canadian army did issued/ wore them for combat, especially in the Special Forces U.S.A./Canada.
    You can even put on a Canadian two toned camo net for reference image.
    Also, they were used in Korean War as well.

Cheers!
    Taka

Mark I dont know about ww2 liners in Canada however if your seeking further afield then i would go for a Green A washer mid-war,these were used through most of 43 and up to june 44,thousands of soldiers arriving in the UK within the ETO would have been wearing them so a perfect match for a fixed Bale,if you start looking at 1st pattern with Rayon webbing or even worse low pressure or even Fiber Hawley's then these will cost probably cost you 6 or 8 times the price of the shell...............

?

Thanks for the reply Taka the M-1 has a long history in the Canadian army there were 200,000 of them purchased in 1943 there official army stores designation number was ( IA18750 ) it would seam very few seen actual field service out side of Canada by the Canadian military during the war though a good portion of these were used by the Pacific Command ( 18th Brigade ) in country and in the Caribbean and some may have been passed back to the Americans for use by there troops that were stationed here during the war.
    In September of 1944 British liaison staff requested 30,000 surplus Canadian M-1 helmets for issue to Wingate's Chindits in Burma and in 1945 they were also specifically issued to the 6 Canadian division which was to be part of the Canadian Army Pacific force.
    There is good period evidence to support they were issued out and worn by the 13 Brigade though which took part in the liberation of Kiska in the Aleutians Islands in July of 1943 and as you stated were worn by the First Special Service Force a joint Canadian and American Unit .
    I am of the opinion the three post war lids I do have in my collection are Canadian issued M-1's.
    Thanks for your advice Jake I will in fact be refurbing this M-1 with a green A washer mid war liner as you have suggested as per are conversations on the shell and components used in the Canadian war time issued M-1 my search still continues for an unmolested example.
    As you know information on these helmets are very vague I do know of only one example in a private collection that has providence and will contact the owner to see if he would be willing to share some detailed photos of his M-1 to see if there are any telltale signs and or differences in comparison to a US front seam fixed bail.
    The one image below is of a Canadian soldier and a US officer in my home town of Nanaimo just pre to boarding ships to Kiska the other is of members of the 13 Brigade enroute to the Aleutians Islands to take part in the liberation of Kiska notice the Canadian two tone camo nets the Kiska patches on there arms and the Canadian BD's worn by the officer and the soldier.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions Front seam fixed bail .   Opinions Front seam fixed bail .  

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the detailed info and the stunning photos!

The photos worth a thousand words.

Here are some stuff that I found interesting.

First photo:

- the person in the center has a Kiska patch on his waterproofed jacket/coat, notice the float belt.
    - Captain at far left is wearing a battledress with Kiska patch/ Canadian rank on epaulets/ with U.S. Captain Bars M-1.
    - They were carrying M-1928 Haversacks on their backs.
    - Minty helmets with or without nets.

Second photo:

- Looks like they both have two-toned Canadian helmet nets on their M-1's.
    - They both carrying a U.S. Mountain Troop rucksacks w/ frames (J.Q.D. 88 B).

Thank you for posting.

Cheers!
    Taka

?

Good eye Taka sorry did not have a lot of time to go into detail as I was on my way out the door heading to work.
    The other interesting thing is the one looks to have an Enfield and the other a carbine hard to tell from my phone though.

Regards Mark

?

The helmet arrived in the post today so here are a few more detailed pics the heat stamp is 364 A I did notice right away there are three stress cracks in the back of the shell they are just starting to break through.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions Front seam fixed bail .   Opinions Front seam fixed bail .  

Opinions Front seam fixed bail .   Opinions Front seam fixed bail .  

Nice M-1 shell, Mark.

Thank you for posting.

Cheers!
    Taka

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast