Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on this Vietnam m1

Article about: Hello fine people! I have a real quick question for you. So recently, I started getting into m1 helmets as I determined that I should probably get a few early and before the prices of their

Default Opinions on this Vietnam m1

Hello fine people! I have a real quick question for you. So recently, I started getting into m1 helmets as I determined that I should probably get a few early and before the prices of their covers and wartime used parts starts going up. Right now, I have plans to snag a late 70s era m1c chinstrap and a 1978ish marked ERDL helmet camo cover for a m1c liner I have. I plan on removing the chinstraps of the shell I have (the straps look to have been torn by someone) and put together as an m1c. That's all fine and good. But since I'm at it, I figured I might as well try to get a Vietnam era m1 helmet. So I started casually browsing around eBay as I normally do and I came across this helmet.Opinions on this Vietnam m1

In my opinion, everything looks to be right, but I have a few questions:
    1. At what point did they switch from the liners that were tied/looped together to the cross over liner straps that we see here.
    2. This outer section of this liner is painted black. Weren't they usually a bright green for the Vietnam era? If so, do you think this was done by some random dude post war?
    3. And lastly, this helmet is in the neighborhood of 80$, should I hold off for the SOS and try to find a similar helmet there?

These have been the three questions I have been asking myself for a couple of days now. I thought I remember reading that the liner straps were switched in the mid 60s but I can't seem to remember where I read that. I would love to hear what y'all think, and by trying to understand this helmet, I realize there is still alot more research I need to do on these m1 helmets. Thanks for any info and all is appreciated!

Hi there.

Sweatband, cover and liner were made at least in this period.

It will be difficult to say when the black color came on.

The helmet cover shows strong rust stains. The helmet shell has none.
    Therefore, this does not fit and has a retrospective effect.
    A shell has to rust considerably to leave stains in the coating.

Does the helmet shell have a heat stamp on the front? Which?
    I think it's a pretty late M1 production.

Are there marks on the clips and the chinstrap clasp?

greetings

forgoten:

the Liner is a Pattern 1964.

This is the year in which the model change in liner production took place.

The older liners were of course continued to be applied and spare parts were also manufactured.

I didn't even think about the rust staining! However, I'm not really too concerned about everything originating together. As long as they are all Vietnam wartime made, I'm ok with it.

The seller says that the heat stamp is "unknown" and the chinstraps are "Vietnam era". So theoretically, if the helmet isn't wartime made, would this lot still be worth it? I already own a late 50s made m1 steel pot with the Vietnam repaint that I could use to supplement it.

The question is whether the seller has precise knowledge of this.

There should be no "P" on the chin strap.

If the helmet shell really has no stamp, it could be a production by the Paraish Division of Dana Corporation 1968 - 1970.

A reused ww2 shell is always an alternative.

Ok, thanks man! I have thought it over and I'll go ahead and just hold off until SOS. I throw the dice and take my chances there!