Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original Korean War era M1?

Article about: Hello all, Another cheap garage sale pick up.. All opinions are much appreciated here Is this an original US Korean War era M1? Rear seam (McCord?) Batch number '1196B' - (It would appear th

Default Original Korean War era M1?

Hello all,

Another cheap garage sale pick up.. All opinions are much appreciated here

Is this an original US Korean War era M1?

Rear seam (McCord?) Batch number '1196B' - (It would appear that someone has furiously sanded back the area to see this ) The corking appears original, but I am not too sure about the OD paint; I feel it may be a tad too dark for early post war shade?

Westinghouse liner, marked 'W 105' with late WWII or early 1950's webbing (which has seen better days!)- OD paint appears to be quite similar if a shade darker than the shell.

The chinstrap hardware is quite interesting - Anchor marked and painted OD - However, at a close inspection the anchor is facing the opposite way to all other anchor marked straps in my collection (12!!), see pic! Is this perhaps an indication of early marked straps or a simply a strike error?

I am still skeptical; but have you any ideas gentlemen? Have I scored an original here?

Best regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Korean War era M1?   Original Korean War era M1?  

Original Korean War era M1?   Original Korean War era M1?  

This is a tough one to answer Chris,anything i say would be pure guess work on my part,and i could be completely wrong,personally it all comes down to what the individual believes,i would say no but like i said thats only my opinion,sorry i can't be of more help........

well if the stamp is 1196 then it is around march 1945 and then it has been repaintd postwar. the liner is korean or vietnam

Many thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Yes this is a tricky one and always best to be skeptical! In saying this, I think the painted chinstraps are original early 1950's style. Have you ever come across a reversed anchor on any of your examples? The chinstraps appear the same shade OD as the pot, so if these straps can be ID'd, It would shed a little light on the subject

Best regards,
    Chris

?

Hi Chris ,very interesting looking helmet, the corking appears to be original as you say and has lost some of it's definition, to what I assume is due to the layer of post war ( and possibly KW applied )paint.

The liner's dark OD paint could well mean that is KW issue also.

The anchor aspect is confusing me though as I always assumed this was a mid 60's thing, but the OD paint looks the right shade for KW painted hardware.

I am lucky enough to have a genuine KW issue M1, and it has some similarities to yours, but my feeling is this one is Early 60's..just a hunch though,Sorry to sound so vague,when your needing clarity,either way you've picked a very collectable piece, and personally would be very proud to own it.

Ok mate I need some pics of the chinstrap connectors where they fix to the swivels,thats the tab side showing,then we can try to establish a few things,the bottom line is that the information just doesn't exist so do we just leave it blank or plug it with a load of guess work with no proof to back it up.........

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Ok mate I need some pics of the chinstrap connectors where they fix to the swivels,thats the tab side showing,then we can try to establish a few things,the bottom line is that the information just doesn't exist so do we just leave it blank or plug it with a load of guess work with no proof to back it up.........
    G'day Jake,

Yes, I am starting to agree in regards to information on this era. I at least anticipated some information about the slightly different anchor mark - but I can't find any to date.

Ok I'll post a few of the connectors, I am interested to knjow what you may be looking for

Best regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Korean War era M1?   Original Korean War era M1?  

Hi chris need a closer and clearer pic of the first one that you posted also can you take a pic of the tabs on the slider,the thing which the long strap passes through to adjust the length of the wearer,hope that makes sense................got some theories of this just need a little more info...........

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Hi chris need a closer and clearer pic of the first one that you posted also can you take a pic of the tabs on the slider,the thing which the long strap passes through to adjust the length of the wearer,hope that makes sense................got some theories of this just need a little more info...........
    Sorry Jake, didn't realise how out of focus that one was.

Some better pics.

Regards,
    Chris

I hadn't forgotten Chris just difficult trying to find the correct answers,but without supporting info its never gonna be that easy but at a guess im going to say these are late 50's made for the 58 McCord shell or early 60's..............certainly pre-66 thats for sure..........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast