MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pair of M1's I need opinions on

Article about: Thanks for the replies everyone. I put a couple of bids on the first helmet but it it ended too high. I am not even going to bother with second one. I havent had much luck locally even the l

Default Re: Pair of M1's I need opinions on

Thanks for the replies everyone. I put a couple of bids on the first helmet but it it ended too high. I am not even going to bother with second one.

I havent had much luck locally even the local military shop hasn't had an original wwii helmet in the few months I have been going to it. Nothing in any of the nearby antique malls or shops. I have tried flea markets and antique shows with no luck either. I have seen a number of decaled and non decaled German helmets but never an American helmet. There is one local guy I talked to who has one, he was given it from a veteran of the war so he is reluctant to sell it. I suppose it will be even more exciting when I finally find one.

Once again I appreciate the help guys.

Alec

Have you tried craigslist?

If you have some free time, you might want to check local yardsales. You never know what you'll find...

I frequent CL all the way from Los Angeles to New York. I usually go through there 2x a day, but all the American helmets I have found on there are post wwii even though many of the titles say otherwise. I have even posted a want ad. I haven't done much yardsale hunting but I have been wanting to but I am not the early bird type maybe it is time to give it a try.

Alec

I guess it just depends on where you live. I am a passive M1 collector. I only pick them up when I come across one for a good price, and i have obtained about 10 or so WWII era ones in the past 2 years. Maybe you just need to take a road trip. lol

Where do you find your M1s? I can only find German and Japanese lids!

Local shops and estate sales lol. Tell you what, I'll find you cheap M1's and you find me cheap Stahlhelme and we will do some trading!

The only reason I have so many M1's is because I can't find as many German helmets that I can afford. lol

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Local shops and estate sales lol. Tell you what, I'll find you cheap M1's and you find me cheap Stahlhelme and we will do some trading!

The only reason I have so many M1's is because I can't find as many German helmets that I can afford. lol
    Done deal!

I've been watching fixed bales on eBay pretty close, over the past several months and for some reason, they've just shot up through the roof, for a complete lid. There is one right now that has jumped over $500 with a few days left to auction. I'm no expert, might be something significant about this particular lid, but I don't see it. Plenty have been selling for $250-$350. I have however seen several fixed bale shells go for cheep, good deal if someone is looking to piece one together I guess.

I think the complete WWII M1s that go up to and over $500 are usually the Hawley liners. I guess they are more rare, but I have not done any research on it so I can't say for sure.

I suppose I might go the route of piecing one together, but an all original one is still higher on my list.

Alec

With all the unscrupulous folks that sell militaria, just to make a buck, I don't think I'd belive any original lid, uniform or gear, to be all original unless I could trace back the lineage of the group. It's just too easy anymore for someone to mark on a name and service number and call it the real deal. I also wonder what the odds are on a matched shell and liner even making it through the war w/o getting seperated at some point. I'm thinking there are far fewer actual original groupings around then are listed on Ebay on any given day.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2