Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Paratrooper M1

Article about: I'm not too familiar with paratrooper issue M1s, could anyone shed any light on the following: What colors were the chinstraps on the helmet shell (M1-C is the proper term I think?), did the

?

Default Paratrooper M1

I'm not too familiar with paratrooper issue M1s, could anyone shed any light on the following:
    What colors were the chinstraps on the helmet shell (M1-C is the proper term I think?), did the colors vary by era?

Were paratrooper helmets common during the Vietnam war? Which units used them?

And lastly, what chin cups for the liners would have been used during the Vietnam war?

Any era photos or reference websites would be greatly appreciated!

Nitram

?

Default Re: Paratrooper M1

here's my NAM era M-1c airborne helmets

Vietnam era M-1C, my last helmet purchase of 2010

My new VN era airborne M-1C

vietnam era generals airborne M-1 helmet

cant really help you out with the details but i hope this helps in some way.

?

Thanks! That helped loads!

Nitram

?

Thanks for all the info! You have some beautiful helmets in your collection, and the General's helmet is quite an interesting piece.

The reason for this thread is I've picked out a salty M1-C, complete with a Vietnam Era liner for 15$. I've noticed the chinstraps are an OD color on the ones you've posted, but at least one of the straps on the one I bought is khaki, any significance there? Or has it merely been bleached by old age?

Paratrooper M1

I'm sure someone will bring it up, yes I do like the worn and torn look on some of my helmets

Nitram

?

the straps on yours looks to be the late 70's early 80's type the last chin strap upgrade before the M-1 helmet was retired as a not not all M-1's that had an airborne liner were used as airborne helmets a lot of ground troops were issued these liners as replacements probably because it was the only liner available at the time have a look at this one i have Named Vietnam era M-1 it has an airborne liner but it was never used as an airborne helmet someone just added the chin strap to sell it as so, so i removed the chin strap & tucked the "A" frame straps up inside as it would have been originally.

?

Woah, you can identify that based on one photo? I'm impressed. Cool little bit of info about the helmets. I'll go over every inch of the helmet once it's here and get more detailed pictures.

Nitram

?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    Woah, you can identify that based on one photo? I'm impressed. Cool little bit of info about the helmets. I'll go over every inch of the helmet once it's here and get more detailed pictures.

Nitram
    it has the same chin strap as this one i have look at the chin strap clips were they attach to the chin strap bails.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Paratrooper M1   Paratrooper M1  

come on lets not forget the screaming eagles 101st airborne 1st brigade spent 7 years in nam 65-72 15 campaigns,against NVA troops at laos and A SHAU valley most famous hamburger hill yes its true not just a war movie they didnt do much jumping so many cut the A yokes from there liners as they were in the way,so airborne units played a massive part in nam.the split chin cup saw action in southern france in early 45 i think?and continued right through to early 80's when the last liners were produced,and all postwar webbing from 51 onwards was olive drab no7 with green metal chinstrap hardware in the 50's and black painted steel and brass hardware in the 60's through to early 80's nice lids nick minnie