Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Parting Out M1's

Article about: Has anybody noticed that the stripping down of helmets and liners to sell the individual parts seems to be on the increase? Always a bit of an emotive subject, depending on which side of the

?

Default Parting Out M1's

Has anybody noticed that the stripping down of helmets and liners to sell the individual parts seems to be on the increase? Always a bit of an emotive subject, depending on which side of the fence you are on. It's a sad fact that the parts of an M1 set are sometimes worth more than the set.
    This example probably is not so bad on the scale of things, it seems unissued, but seeing historic pieces that have had their individual parts together for years, being destroyed as an item for a few extra dollars/pounds really gets my goat. I rarely buy parts anymore, but if I'm in the market for some, I'll usually check the sellers other items first before I bid.
    That's just my opinion of course, I'm sure you'll have yours.
    Then, with green buckle chinstraps regularly bringing over $100.00 in America, would you do it?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parting Out M1's   Parting Out M1's  

Parting Out M1's  

Default Re: Parting Out M1's

As a collector, no - I believe pieces should stay together.
    On the other hand, I do buy separate parts to complete
    a lid or upgrade, so.........

( Though I will not spend $100 on a chinstrap
    - be it WWII US or WWII German ! )
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I find this a shame and pretty greedy. The same thing is happening to matched bayonets and scabbards that have been together since issued 70 to 100+ years ago. All in the name of additional profit and often done by "respected" dealers. Also happening to knives and sheaths, - rifles, sling, stocks parted out. Helmets, liners, and chinstraps in regards to TR items.

If it keeps up, eventually there will be no complete and authentic sets left. It has always been about the history for me, obliviously not everyone feels the same and some believe only in profit.
    Regards,
    John

?

To give this thread a little bump, there is a seller on eBay, passagassawakeag, who has been stripping down complete Hood Rubber and St Clair sets amongst others, selling vinyl sweatbands and green buckle chinstraps from them etc. I find it distasteful to say the least, and I've put him on my ignore list in eBay.
    Destroying history right in front of my eyes, it makes me more angry every time I see this. How can people do this? Greed, pure and simple.
    Some people may not agree with my opinion, but that's the way it is.

A

NCA
    ?

Yep.Money..thats all it is.These people just dont care two hoots about the history.

You see it all the time with helmets, uniform groupings ect..I hate it but its never going to stop.

I've lost count of the amount of beautiful antiquarian books that are broken up and the illustrations sold seperatly.Same thing.Money!

?

I've seen a field phone stripped to parts, then the parts sold off separately; wiring, earpiece, box, maual, and a few meters of phone line. It was Dated 41'

People really have no shame.

Unfortunately a sign of the times im afraid.....in every business around every corner there will always be a crook trying to skin off the top just to make that extra buck.also the world economic climate has a lot to do with it,desperate times call for desperate measures,this wont be changing in the foreseeable future im afraid.....Jake.

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Unfortunately a sign of the times im afraid.....in every business around every corner there will always be a crook trying to skin off the top just to make that extra buck.also the world economic climate has a lot to do with it,desperate times call for desperate measures,this wont be changing in the foreseeable future im afraid.....Jake.
    If you really want to get mad, check out that seller, and see what he is doing.

Andy

its terrible because most of the time the reason we need seperate parts and are forced to get them is because the liners or pots you buy are already stripped of parts. since i mostly only get my helmet on ebay, or from the local surlus store, they come incomplete and i endup paying more to complete them.

I find it very immoral and quite saddening This brings up the seller who clips the bails to get the chinstraps to mind D:

I try buying my parts from sellers who have little history in selling these items. The lids I'm looking at are usually from estate sales/unknown origin. (The prices are also cheaper) Though not completely original, I like to feel that I am bringing these otherwise lonely components together; but knowing that these parts were recently seperated angers me.