Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets

Article about: ok both M-1s are US made dating from the 1960's onwards as Steve said the first one has the late 70's onwards type chin strap the second one has the NAM era chin strap. the first cover is a

?

Default Re: Please help identify these 2 m1 helmets

ok both M-1s are US made dating from the 1960's onwards as Steve said the first one has the late 70's onwards type chin strap the second one has the NAM era chin strap. the first cover is a 70's dated ERDL & the second one is a 80's date woodland cover both are post Nam era & as NCA said the M26 is just a mould number that's used to identify which mould it was made in if there were any faults.

?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Once gain, thanks Nick for the eduction. I will add this to my M-1 notes. I have it written the CAPAC did not make liners after 1945.

Russ
    all manufacturing of M-1s came to an end at the end of the war but they restarted up manufacturing again because of the Korean war.

You guys have been a great help.
    Sorry I did not read post 3 closer.
    I just have one more question about them.
    How do you tell when the pots were made?
    The pot is B has the Vietnam era chinstrap fastener with the ball/hook device with a P on it.
    I was told that the Vietnam era hooks had an anchor but I do not know if this was true.
    Also, did these pots have numbers I should look for?

Anton,

Yes, all US M-1 helmets have what is refered to as "Heat Stamp" numbers. Unfortunatly no cross referance chart exists for the post WWII helmets, as of yet anyway. A few quick clues to when a US M-1 helmet was made.

1. If the rim around the helmet is slit in the front it is absolutly WWII era.
    2. If the rim around the helmet is made of stainless steel (it will be shinny) it is absolutly WWII era
    3. If the helmet was manufactured buy SCHLUETER it is WWII era (you can ID a Schlueter by the heat stamp or being familair with its distictive profile)
    4. If thehelmet as fixed bails it is absolutly WWII era
    5. If the chin strap is sewn directly on to the bails, it is WWII ear
    6. If the shell has a cork texture it is WWII era
    7. As Nick pointed out in an earlier post, the post WWII helmets have a lower dome so you can set a shell next to a known type and tell the differance.

Spotting a WWII era lid is pretty simple, it's the post WWII lids that are a bit sketchier and I'm still trying to figure that all out.....

A post war chin strap can throw you as you find them on WWII era helmets all the time.

Nick will chime in with some more conclusive suggestions I am sure.

Here is a little clearer representation:

First photo is a WWII era M-1 on the left and a Vietnam era M-1 on the right. You can clearly see the differance in hight.

Second photo, both WWII but you can see the profile of the M-1 on the right has a very shallow arc, this is the easy way to ID a SCHLUETER helmet, front or rear seam. If you come across a SCHLUETER, you have a WWII M-1.

Hope this helps a bit.

Russ

Thanks for the info. I knew basically how to spot a WWII pot. My confusion comes in post WWII helmets.

Quote by anton67 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I knew basically how to spot a WWII pot. My confusion comes in post WWII helmets.
    Yea, that's my problem too, the WWII M-1s are easy!

?

Quote by anton67 View Post
    The pot is B has the Vietnam era chinstrap fastener with the ball/hook device with a P on it.
    I was told that the Vietnam era hooks had an anchor but I do not know if this was true.
    1962- anchor
    1964- anchor
    1965 - anchor
    1966 - anchor
    1967 - P
    1967 - anchor
    1967 - anchor
    1968 - anchor
    1969 - P
    1969 - anchor
    1970 - P
    1970 - P
    1971 - P
    1973 - anchor
    1973 - P

have a look here Post-WWII M1 helmet sheel chinstrap markings - U.S. Militaria Forum

For some reason it will not let me view the link eventhough I am a member. So basically a P or anchor signifies that the helmet shell is likely Vietnam era?
    Although it could have been replaced/added later.

?

yes both shell & chin strap are of that era but as to how long they've been together will be difficult to determine as none issued shells & chin straps can still be bought today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2