Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1

Article about: Saw this helmet at an antique fair in Central Illinois today and noticed it was at one time a front seam (the rim is gone but you can clearly see that it met in the front). I picked it up, t

Caseydiggz
    ?

Default Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1

Saw this helmet at an antique fair in Central Illinois today and noticed it was at one time a front seam (the rim is gone but you can clearly see that it met in the front). I picked it up, turned it over and saw that it had fixed bales. I then noticed a coat of ancient white paint on the front that looks a lot like a shield shape with a black border. Unfortunately for some reason my camera isn't doing the insignia any favors. Well anyway the shield has a what looks like a red 1 in the middle.

I walked up to the dealer and asked how much for the helmet and he said the most wonderful thing these ears have ever heard! $20

It has a CAPAC liner and is missing the chinstrap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1   Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1  

Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1   Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1  

Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1  

Default Re: Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1

20$ for a fixed bale

dude like a kid in a candy shop congrats

?

Your liner is an early Vietnam era liner. As for the insignia on the helmet, it's not a 1st ID. Not sure what it is but, I'm certain it's not a 1st. The first had a red number one with an outline of a shield done in black. There was no other background color outside of the original olive drab that was on the helmet. Still, 20 bucks was a good price! I'd say these two parts were pieced together and have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Caseydiggz
    ?

I know it's extremely hard to see but any ideas on what it could be? How many divisions commonly did this?

?

A top find these days for $20 they were worth more than that here in the U.K. back in the late 1980's, and with original hand painted marking "Deal of the Decade"

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

Quote by Caseydiggz View Post
    I know it's extremely hard to see but any ideas on what it could be? How many divisions commonly did this?
    There were many divisions and units that did this. Some more than others. There really isn't any one division that jumps to mind when I see this one. You might want to get a look at division insignia from WWII and do a match up on one that might come close... just a thought.

Caseydiggz
    ?

I will do. I've been all over the internet and reference books looking for painted helmets. Any websites you would recommend?

?

I will do. I've been all over the internet and reference books looking for painted helmets. Any websites you would recommend?
    Check this link. It shows a great share of insignia used by Divisions in WWII: Division insignia of the United States Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caseydiggz
    ?

Thanks alot. I think the leading candidate right now would be the 3rd Infantry division or the 75th. I'm beginning to beliieve that it is square instead of a shield. And there are feint traces of blue paint and possible red paint.

?

Thanks alot. I think the leading candidate right now would be the 3rd Infantry division or the 75th. I'm beginning to beliieve that it is square instead of a shield. And there are feint traces of blue paint and possible red paint.
    Very doubtful about it being the 3rd. The 3rd only put their insignia on the side of their helmets not the front. Take a look at an original 3rd ID from my collection and you'll see what I mean.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast