Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1

Article about: Saw this helmet at an antique fair in Central Illinois today and noticed it was at one time a front seam (the rim is gone but you can clearly see that it met in the front). I picked it up, t

?

Default Re: Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1

pity the pictures don't show it to well it would be very interesting to know what it is / was

Caseydiggz
    ?

It's a real shame that it's so "gone" I just sat in my office and stared at it for about 10 minutes last night from different angles and different lights and out of desperation i pulled out a UV light

I just suggested the 3rd because i have an M1917 with a 3rd infantry division insignia on the front.

It's harder for you guys because the pictures I provided make it a little harder to decipher.

Any of you guys have any M1's or m-1917's with insignias on the front? feel free to share!

?

Quote by Caseydiggz View Post
    It's a real shame that it's so "gone" I just sat in my office and stared at it for about 10 minutes last night from different angles and different lights and out of desperation i pulled out a UV light

I just suggested the 3rd because i have an M1917 with a 3rd infantry division insignia on the front.

It's harder for you guys because the pictures I provided make it a little harder to decipher.

Any of you guys have any M1's or m-1917's with insignias on the front? feel free to share!
    You are right, WWI M1917's for the 3rd Infantry Div. were for the most part done on the front. This was where most soldiers wanted it, there was no directive from the Army and these were all done post war. However, WWII M-1's were done only on the sides and were done as a Command Directive.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but, is this insignia all white? Are there any other colors that you can see? If it's all white, it could be a Pacific Theater of Operations Corpsmen(Medic) helmet. A white circle was painted on the front about 2 inches in diameter. Sometimes these were done without much artistic talent so it wouldn't have to be perfectly round. Just a thought.

Caseydiggz
    ?

I suppose it could be a white circle with some paint missing and some dirt smudges. Pacific Theater Corpsmen wore helmets with just a white circle on the front? I guess you learn something new everyday.

Just did some digging and look what i found:

These are from Tarawa 1943
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1  
    Attached Images Attached Images Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1 

Caseydiggz
    ?

Are these helmets decently hard to get your hands on?

Caseydiggz
    ?

I do believe, with the much appreciated help of Bugme, I have cracked the code. The Red in the insignia that made me think that it was a "Big Red 1" was instead a small red cross about the size of a dime that the pacific theater corpsmen painted.

I know it is hard to tell from the pictures but now that i have pin pointed it it's actually quite clear.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1  
    Attached Images Attached Images Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1  Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1 

?

I do believe, with the much appreciated help of Bugme, I have cracked the code. The Red in the insignia that made me think that it was a "Big Red 1" was instead a small red cross about the size of a dime that the pacific theater corpsmen painted.

I know it is hard to tell from the pictures but now that i have pin pointed it it's actually quite clear.
    Well, there you go, it just doesn't get much better than that now does it?

Caseydiggz
    ?

I really appreciate the help! Are these helmets hard to get your hands on?

?

I really appreciate the help! Are these helmets hard to get your hands on?
    They're not found in too many places. Kind of a rarity! Here's one from my collection. White spot only on the back.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1   Possible "Big Red One" Fixed Bale M1  

Caseydiggz
    ?

If only mine was in as good shape as yours!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast