Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible Vietnam m1 helmet

Article about: I picked this helmet up today, I have not bought it yet but was able to bring it home to look over and make an offer. The helmet is a late ww2 issued helmet that has been repainted with late

Default Possible Vietnam m1 helmet

I picked this helmet up today, I have not bought it yet but was able to bring it home to look over and make an offer. The helmet is a late ww2 issued helmet that has been repainted with late war buckle. The woodland cover is I believe dated to around 1965 due to the contact no. 9196. The liner I am not clear to on. The camo band was good in my opinion until I saw the cat eyes on the back which I belief is post Vietnam. There are 2 names in the helmet if anyone can help. All opinions needed and welcome.
    Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible Vietnam m1 helmet   Possible Vietnam m1 helmet  

Possible Vietnam m1 helmet   Possible Vietnam m1 helmet  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

More
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible Vietnam m1 helmet   Possible Vietnam m1 helmet  

Any ideas if this is a put together helmet?

I forgot to add the liner is made by Firestone with a sand finish

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Any ideas if this is a put together helmet?
    I am not a helmet guy but I do have a set up very similar to yours.
    Mine is a ww2 front seem helmet with a 1956 liner and VN era Mitchell cover.

I posted mine on another forum and asked about it being a put together piece
    and the answer I got was "yes" it is put together however it may be perfectly
    legitimate as ww2 shells were issued into the 80's and liners were swapped in and
    out dozens of times as the M-1s went into and out of the replacement depots.
    In short, almost every Vietnam issue M-1 is a put together piece.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Greg thanks for the response. The cover is dated to 1965. I believe the liner maybe a Firestone 1965. The helmet I know is a ww2 reissue and repainted a dark OD. The chinstrap in late ww2. For me all seemed to be going great even the wear on the cover next to the bale has the correct wear, until I got to the band a turned it over and saw the cats eyes that tells me that part was added later and maybe the only piece to be replaced. I know there was a band on the cover because of the wear on the cover. I just now if I decided to buy it is to make a fair offer.
    Marty

Hello Marty, I would guess that the shell and liner were not originally together simply from the fact that the liner is a para one and the shell is not equipped with a para fastening chinstrap. Surely that would have been addressed at re-issue level. Just my thoughts as I am no expert at all when it comes to how M1 helmets were re-issued. Leon.

Leon, great catch!! I did not see that point and you may be correct. I have seen pictures and took a picture with example in point where the helmet chinstrap would be pulled through the yolk and both chinstrap would be connect under the chin. If I am correct and I know it is a movie the example was also used in the John Wayne classic 'the green berets'.

Well i like it Marty either way,i know during ww2 many Fixed looped shells were used with Airborne Liners however i don't think this practice continued into Nam,so its most likely a put together but its all original US parts,to note this example has had the field-issued T1 hook attached instead of standard wartime replacement straps,Firestone will be 64 or 67,usually the later as these are seen constantly,if its the earlier date then its quite rare,also to note it carries the rarer deep cut Mitchell by unknown government contractor,64-66.despite the fact that deep cuts were not made standard until 68,nice set Bud get it.............

Jake, thanks for the info. I can not tell the date it just as the Firestone f + 10 and the number 52 stamped on th side. I will offer around 100.00 for it.
    Marty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast