Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Post Vietnam M1-C

Article about: Hi Fellow Collectors. I thought you might like to see this M1-C from my collection for discussion, I believe this one dates from 1974 due the stamp on the webbing ?.The Erdl cover has a very

?

Much appreciated Jake! I just love these lids!! Cheers, Sean.

Gary dont forget the final 76 contract,which was there fifth in total and with the heat stamps there's absolutely no way of knowing which batch your shell came from,bit of a head banger,but for me,these are my least desirable of all Helmet shells,they rust and stress crack more than any other maker also the build quality just isn't there in general,when compared with earlier types especially McCords then you will see.........

superb work and well worth the hassle fitting those chinstraps and great to see they extend up further to meet the pop stud within the liner as intended the stress lines are very interesting and have fractured on the exact areas where folded in manufacture i too only thought this was a trait of ww2 period lids i was going to say perhaps used for a cooking pot but he exterior finish negates this theory ,thanks for the update
    Regards James

?

It begs one to wonder if these stress cracked M-1 helmet bodies are actually reject shells that did not meet the final goverment inspection and were sold off in lots.

Regards Mark

Good point Mark,but having handled as many as I have,and no punt intended at Canadian build quality I have not yet found one that meets the quality of any US producer,now it may have been down to a lower quality of steel?everything about the build always looks off to me,just the Bales alone look weak and off line,the rims never have a nice curve to them,they have stress cracks and rust quicker than McCord shells that were made three decades before and still look better,but each to there own opinion and if collectors like them who am i to say differant.......

?

Hi Jake I defer to your superior knowledge on the M -1 and it was merely a thought that had popped in my noggin as this is not the first shell I have seen that was a Canadian manufactured M -1 helmet body that had stress cracks.

Regards Mark

No worries Mark,perhaps I was a bit quick to the punch,we is cool man

?

All good here Jake still lots for me to learn about M-1's so I get a little fuzzy and at times ( Don't Worry Stay Calm !!!!!! )

Regards Mark

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Gary dont forget the final 76 contract,which was there fifth in total and with the heat stamps there's absolutely no way of knowing which batch your shell came from,bit of a head banger,but for me,these are my least desirable of all Helmet shells,they rust and stress crack more than any other maker also the build quality just isn't there in general,when compared with earlier types especially McCords then you will see.........
    Hi Jake, many thanks for your input again Jake, it's no big deal at the end of the day as I think the cracks add character

?

Quote by James C View Post
    superb work and well worth the hassle fitting those chinstraps and great to see they extend up further to meet the pop stud within the liner as intended the stress lines are very interesting and have fractured on the exact areas where folded in manufacture i too only thought this was a trait of ww2 period lids i was going to say perhaps used for a cooking pot but he exterior finish negates this theory ,thanks for the update
    Hi James thanks for looking and for your comments, these stress cracks are interesting and seem common on WW2 era shells ,but with the cover on it's not a problem

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast