Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated

Article about: Hello, I purchased this Fixed Bale M1 Helmet. Any information you can provide to me such as year of manufacture, company etc would be appreciated. Also, any info on the liner would also help

Default Re: Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated

Quote by earlymb View Post
    I am hesistant to put a date on the shell with just the heatnumber; there was a list published in a book by 2 French authors (their names escape me at the moment), but this list needs lots more research. The 'raised bar' on the chinstrap buckle does however indicated early- to midproduction, so 1943 might very well be correct. That would also fit the liner. The nape strap might be dated.

I still think your helmet was repainted, but it still has the original ground cork finish, and as stated earlier repainting was normal maintenance. It is a nice, original standard helmet.

Greetz

David
    Last edited by Mountaineer; 01-16-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Default Re: Purchased M1 Fixed Bale Helmet - Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated

Quote by earlymb View Post
    I am hesistant to put a date on the shell with just the heatnumber; there was a list published in a book by 2 French authors (their names escape me at the moment), but this list needs lots more research. The 'raised bar' on the chinstrap buckle does however indicated early- to midproduction, so 1943 might very well be correct. That would also fit the liner. The nape strap might be dated.

I still think your helmet was repainted, but it still has the original ground cork finish, and as stated earlier repainting was normal maintenance. It is a nice, original standard helmet.

Greetz

David

The book you speak of is, "Helmets of the ETO" by Regis GIARD and Frederic BLAIS. THe steel plate productin # is used in the chart on page 27 of this book. The # is located under the brim of McCord made helmets. It is the closes way to date McCord M-1s that i know of. If you collect M-1s this book and the book "The M-1 Helmet of the WWII GI " by Pieter Oosterman are must haves. JMHO Rich

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2