MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Ques Collection -- M1 Swivel bail

Article about: Hello, Here is my M-1 Swivel bail Helmet is stamped 15 B. Liner is stamped S 16 and has liner Chinstrap intact. Rivets stamped United Carr. Don't think this one has been repainted. Again, Wh

Que
    ?

Default Ques Collection -- M1 Swivel bail

Hello,
    Here is my M-1 Swivel bail

Helmet is stamped 15 B. Liner is stamped S 16 and has liner Chinstrap intact. Rivets stamped United Carr. Don't think this one has been repainted.
    Again, What do the stamps mean, is this original paint, and what would be the approximate vale? Why are all my pics getting turned on their side? can they be rotated?

Ques Collection -- M1 Swivel bailQues Collection -- M1 Swivel bailQues Collection -- M1 Swivel bail

MAP
    ?

Good post Que...single helmet in the correct forum. I'm sure experts will be around shortly to help you out.

As far as the rotation...not sure. Sometimes people have the same problem.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello, looks to me you have a nice original ww2 helmet. I believe the paint is original because i can still see cork texture. the helmet heat stamp you gave was 15B. most likely the stanp is 3 digits and a letter and then i can date it properly. As far as liners go the number doesnt mean anything. there should be a stamp inside by the numbers though that will tell me the maker. maybe add a picture.

Que
    ?

Patches, looks like its maybe 155B and the liner is stamped with an S inside a circle.

that sounds like a better number, i can give u the exact month made when i get to my book but for now i cant, the liner is a seaman paper co. liner

155B is way too low for a SB helmet.
    SB helmets are usually 4 numbers and a letter.
    Unless it was a Fixed Loop which was refitted with swivel loops later in life.
    You are likely not seeing another digit or that digit was not stamped hard enough to register.
    Another possibility is it could be a Schlueter.
    Is there an "S" stamped anywhere on the underside of the pot?
    Lastly your liner is missing the nape.
    Also it would be nice to know whether the liner has original paint.
    Lastly, it is hard for me to tell from your photos but the paint looks too shiny to be WWII vintage.
    Looks more like Korean War era paint.
    It could have been repainted and the cork still showing through.
    But I really can not tell that for sure from your photos.

Here is the helmet dating chart.
    You can only use it for McCord helmets and there is no way to narrow it down to a specific month/year.
    The chart is a guide.
    Here is one of my helmets and one of my liners to show you what an original M1 shoudl look like.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ques Collection -- M1 Swivel bail   Ques Collection -- M1 Swivel bail  

Ques Collection -- M1 Swivel bail   Ques Collection -- M1 Swivel bail  

Ques Collection -- M1 Swivel bail   Ques Collection -- M1 Swivel bail  

Ques Collection -- M1 Swivel bail  

I will start a post showing an M1 FB example for everyone.