Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Question about paint on M1 Liner?

Article about: I bought a m1 helmet with liner recently, with the purposes of doing a restoration. Both the pot and liner are in really rough shape. My question is about the paint job on the liner. It's ju

Default Question about paint on M1 Liner?

I bought a m1 helmet with liner recently, with the purposes of doing a restoration. Both the pot and liner are in really rough shape. My question is about the paint job on the liner. It's just a normal Westinghouse missing most of the webbing and all of the A-washers. But before I remove the paint I want to make sure this isn't a military applied paint job that might be significant. Thanks for any help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question about paint on M1 Liner?   Question about paint on M1 Liner?  

Question about paint on M1 Liner?  

Hi and a tough one to boot....the paint doesn't match the condition of the inside so its hard to say also most postwar repaints used stencils where as this looks really rough hand done.....I.M.H.O.

?

Hi, I can understand your dilemma , and it would frustrating if you removed the finish,only to discover the paint scheme was relevant to a specific unit , just out of interest what colour is the shell?

I am sorry I cannot offer any specifics one way or the other, but I hope someone here can offer some advice as to what service/unit it might relate to.

The pot has been re-textured with sand and has what looks like a Korean war repaint, a dark glossy od green.

Could be either USN or more likely UN. Here's my UN ww2 mfg. liner