Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question about Vietnam Era Helmets

Article about: Hi guys, I just picked up these 2 Vietnam era helmets, and I noticed a few differences between them. First the color seems to be slightly different between their covers. This may be just due

Default Question about Vietnam Era Helmets

Hi guys,

I just picked up these 2 Vietnam era helmets, and I noticed a few differences between them. First the color seems to be slightly different between their covers. This may be just due to age and wear, however the contract numbers "8027" seem to date them both to 1964-65. I was wondering if there was a difference in the colors or patterns based on the manufacturer or is this just due to wear from usage and washing?

Also, one of the chinstrap buckles has an anchor on it and the other did not, I was wondering if the anchor on the chin strap represented something?

Thanks

Question about Vietnam Era HelmetsQuestion about Vietnam Era HelmetsQuestion about Vietnam Era HelmetsQuestion about Vietnam Era HelmetsQuestion about Vietnam Era Helmets-*/Question about Vietnam Era Helmets

I think I can help you with your question. I believe the Mitch cover on the left was made using duck cotton (which was the most common material used) and the one on the right was made using cotton twill (which was contracted out to a few suppliers in the DSA chain between 1965-67). For some reason the cotton twill gives it a more darker greyish look