Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question regarding bullet hole in WWII US helmet

Article about: The helmet is a front seam fixed bail early war helmet. It has been shot with a 22 round. There isnt a pelet gun made that would dent the helmet that way. Look at the size and the shape of t

?

Default Question regarding bullet hole in WWII US helmet

Hi guys,
    I hope this is the right forum to post this stuff in, but I recently bought this helmet, and was curious if you can tell me a bit about it. It was listed as US Army/USMC, but do you know which one it is for sure? Also, it has some battle damage - a bullet ding in the front and a dent in the top. Judging from the pics, any idea what kind of round it was? Any other information you can give me on this would be super helpful and much appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

?

Default Re: Question regarding bullet hole in WWII US helmet

Welcome to the forum.
    The bullet dent is not combat damage in my opinion. It appears that some one shot it with a 22 caliber shell.
    It would be good if you posted the chinstrap bails to try to date manufacture.
    Last edited by SteveR; 01-27-2012 at 12:44 AM.

?

Thanks a lot Steve, that's too bad if it's not battle damage, I guess I was hoping for a different answer! But here's a couple pics of the straps:

A metal helmet will not stop any pistol bullet let alone a rifle round at battle ranges-they are intended to avoid damage to the head from falling rocks/bricks etc thrown up by nearby explosions-modern 'Kevlar' ballistic helmets will stop standard bullets however.

It looks like it was shot with a bigger round than a .22, in my opinion.

Although it probably isn't combat damage. Most dings like this in helmets are the result of target practice after the war.

?

Are those supposed to be D rings, ive never seen that type before, and that damage doesnt look like battle damage. I'm not even sure its a bullet strike , M1s arent known for their bullet stopping capacity

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    I'm not even sure its a bullet strike , M1s arent known for their bullet stopping capacity
    Air Rifle pellet?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thats a possibility a .22 sabo shot might do it at close range, good thinking Adrian

?

Thanks for all the input guys - I should have stated that it hasn't arrived at my house yet and won't until probably early next week. Once I get it I'll post some up-close shots of the chinstrap bails and the dents.

?

Looks like 9mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast