Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Questions about restoring a M1 Helmet liner

Article about: Hi, i am restoring my world war 2 m1 helmet liner and i have a few questions. First, Do i really have to buy a \\$30 dollar tool to put the rivets in place? if i do is there any place that sel

?

Default Questions about restoring a M1 Helmet liner

Hi, i am restoring my world war 2 m1 helmet liner and i have a few questions. First, Do i really have to buy a $30 dollar tool to put the rivets in place? if i do is there any place that sells them cheeper than jmurray1944.com? Second, when i drilled out the rivets i overdrilled an A washer and it broke, is there any place i can just get one A washer I dont want to spent $10 on a set and only use one. And last question, is there anywhwere i can buy a drawstring for under $5, ive seen some sell on ebay but i dont want to spend $35 dollars on a 70 year old shoelace. Ill post some pictures of what it looked like before, and what it looks like right now. Any responses would be helpful.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Questions about restoring a M1 Helmet liner   Questions about restoring a M1 Helmet liner  

Default Re: Questions about restoring a M1 Helmet liner

i was in the same situation as you were. what i did is i found a rivet setting tool on ebay for 15 dollars. i dont know if anymore are up there right now but if there isnt i would just go ahead and buy the tool. It is a one time thing and will last a long time. second, the a washers, J muray has some a washers on ebay that he sells about 100 for like a dollar but they say restorable so they probably arent in the best condition. i think the first restoration is always the most expensive but after that it get a bit cheaper. good luck and i hope this helps

?

Default Re: Questions about restoring a M1 Helmet liner

Attachment 369513Thanks, I was able to find the tool on ebay and I emailed jmurray and got 3 a washers for 4 dollars. For the drawstring i just cut up a shoelace. The paint and tool were half the money by itself. It turned out pritty good. All I need now is the chinstrap and the sweatband leather. Thanks for the info.