Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Repro WW2 USMC cover

Article about: hiya Willyslancs the chromed one is pretty cool original WW2 era covers have shot up in price since the airing of the HBO mini series The Pacific you can expect to pay well into the hundreds

?

Default Re: Repro WW2 USMC cover

hiya Willyslancs

the chromed one is pretty cool

original WW2 era covers have shot up in price since the airing of the HBO mini series The Pacific you can expect to pay well into the hundreds (pound sterling) these days even 50's era cover go for alot of money as well all very annoying when your on a budget

Great job you've done with aging the cover, Nick !

It looks fantastic !

Very hard to tell if it's repro or real. You've put all the 'wear'
    in the right places - just the right amount ! !

I'll have to get one and try to do the same...........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

cheers Steve

it was fun trying to get it to look right & im fairly pleased with the outcome being the first time ive tried something like this. i like how in the first pic's theres no no shell in the cover it actually stayed in shape when i removed it & just rested it on a display head

im currently in the process of refurbishing and aging my own German helmet... im having a lot of fun doing it. its harder work than i thought it would be. I want it up on my shelf (not to sell!!!)

you did a good job aging your cover though. this is my first time so im still experimenting : )

?

it is fun to do something like this & experimenting with various ways of getting different effects

Quote by NickD View Post
    thanks for the comments guys

well guys what i did was to put it on a shell use a cheese greater (the small holes) run it around the edge making it worse in some areas then when i got the desired effect run it through the washing machine & i also left it outside for a while through all weathers as well which also helped.
    I think you have forgotten the unwritten code for revealing faking hints. Which is "Don't tell how you faked something in the open forum". The fakers look here as well. A private post message is proper for inquirering minds if you know them.

?

Quote by WW2headgearlover View Post
    I think you have forgotten the unwritten code for revealing faking hints. Which is "Don't tell how you faked something in the open forum". The fakers look here as well. A private post message is proper for inquirering minds if you know them.
    the fakers have been faking these for a few years now plus i never revealed everything i did so im pretty sure its ok to say

Quote by NickD View Post
    the fakers have been faking these for a few years now plus i never revealed everything i did so im pretty sure its ok to say
    funny ,but I have a real Viet Nam cover, it looked like new almost,thinking it was fake, I did find the info & date stamp inside, but I still thought it to be fake it was in great shape, so I threw it in the washing machine & it came out looking like your cover, kinda strange that it held together like it did all that time, but I like the way it looks now, but all the stamping marks faded so bad you can't read it anymore, but you did a great job on your cover. oh yeah it was dated 69.

?

there's still a lot of unissued nam era covers out there & they're becoming very sort after especially early dated ones as far as im aware these are not being faked as they're still so readily available.

Quote by NickD View Post
    there's still a lot of unissued nam era covers out there & they're becoming very sort after especially early dated ones as far as im aware these are not being faked as they're still so readily available.
    yeah, now I wish I had bought a fake & worked it over & put that one up, but too late now, oh well life goes on. thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast