Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell

Article about: Good stuff Nick. No liner sorry. chris

Default Re: Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell

Thanks for the info!
    My Helmet has the number 512A, What does this tell me about what year the helmet is, and how can you tell what numbers are from what years?

?

if you look at the thread about your helmet Ive answered the question about the age of it, as for how the heat stamp numbers are used to date an M-1 there's a chart in a book called HELMETS OF THE ETO that uses these numbers as a way of giving a rough manufacturing date even though this was not the intention of the numbers they were only meant for quality control purposes only.

?

Here we have the difference between Fixed Bails & Swivel Bails, these are the points on the M-1 shell at which the main chin strap attaches. When the M-1 first went in to manufacture the chin strap Bail or Loop was originally fixed (none moving) up till about November 1945 at which point they introduced the Swivel Bail version which was more sturdy & reliable then the Fixed version.

(see attached pics for visual guide)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell   Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell  

Quote by NickD View Post
    hiya mate

what kind of detail on post war helmets are you looking for ?
    Just general details

?

1950's type M-1 (Korean war)

1960's type M-1 (Vietnam war onwards)

I still get confused with post war shells, mostly because of all the ambigious information floating around the net. Please correct me of I am wrong but from what I gather their are two basic M-1 Shells (not getting into the bail or chin strap configurations), the high dome and low dome they are most commonly refered to. From reading, it looks to me that M-1 shells were only made during two periods. The WWII years and were all the high dome shape and ended production in 1945 (1946?). Then it looks like the second run of M-1 shells started around 1966 and ended in 1973 in support the Vietnam war, these shells being the low dome shape. I see nothing stating that M-1 shells were made post WWII through 1966. I'm I on track so far?

If I am on base with this then it must be concluded that ALL Korean War era M-1s were High Dome, leftover/refirbished helmets from WWII, some with the original sewn on chin straps others fitted with T-1 type.

Someone please correct me if I am missinformed here. I have seen many low down shells being peddled as Korean war era and I just don't see how it can be so unless I am missing something.

Russ

?

they did start making M-1's again post war during the 50's because of the Korean war but these were still being made in the same way as the WW2 version.

Thanks Nick, I knew you'd chime in and clear this up for me. I did read one source that indicated they made a small amount of M-1's in the 50's, but that was some time ago and I have not been able to find that document since. Most internet sources inly indicate WWII and 1960s production.....but that's the internet and hardly a reliable source of information in many cases.

But my conclusion that ALL Korean War era M-1 shells had to be high dome stands as correct then, and I'm guessing that all 50's production shells had the T-1 style chin strap, any with a sewn on chin strap were carried over from WWII surplus/refirb.

Nick, is it correct that all M-1 production ended in 1973, never to be made again or is that just another bit of internet mis-information I have come across?

My next question is in regards to a low down front seem I just picked up, but I'll take some photos and post in its own thread.

Thanks Nick, a great help as always.

Russ

?

im not sure about when they stopped manufacturing M-1s as for your low profile front seamed M-1 it could be a SCHLUETER made shell as the shape of these lids were lower in profile compared to that of the McCORD made shells.

Thanks again for your input Nick. I'll post some photos of the front seam helmet and start a new thread in a bit. I originally thought it was a Schlueter but the arc of the edge is that of a McCord, not near as flat as my other Schlueters however, I just sized up in between two front seam McCords and it is just slightly shorter and same dome hight as my other Schlueters and not near as short as a low dome. Thread to follow once I clear my desk here.

Russ

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast